1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How important are gifts to you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Nov 30, 2006.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    After reading the gift threads over the years, and the holidays coming up had me thinking about the whole gift idea.

Gifts aren't that big for me. Honestly, if I didn't get anything for Christmas, I wouldn't mind. I guess that's what happens after getting coal from Santa all these years.:D

Seriously, gifts aren't one of my love languages. I'd much rather have someone do something for me. I like service over gifts.

But for other people I know it's a big thing. Not that there's anything wrong with it, because it's the love language they speak and understand.

So how about you guys/gals?

2. I had this same conversation with my mother-in-law the other night. The gifts I look forward to the most are socks and boxers. Why? It's not like I can't afford them. A roll of tube socks doesn't say "I love you", really. They are bland necessities.

So why do I look forward to my Christmas sock reload every year? Because these are items I'm either too lazy or too busy to take time out of my day to shop for. I think this answer goes hand in hand with yours in that you prefer to have things done for you. That's kinda how I view the Annual Socks/Boxers Fiesta. Someone has gone and bought me the items I hate to shop for. Simply Awesome. I don't even ask for squat on my birthday.

Mike

3. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    Gifts aren't a big thing for me at all.
    When birthday or Christmas rolls around I rarely know what I want or even want anything at all.
    The times I do want something are times when that something would be too expensive to ask for as a gift.
    Bottom line though is that gifts are not my love language.

4. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I don't care either way. If I get a gift, cool, thanks

If I don't, sweet, I still don't care :)

5. -Kramer-

-Kramer-

Dec 9, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    I like gifts if they are cash.

6. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    i don't care about gifts much either, i usually don't want anything

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    :rolleyes:

8. Gifts usually just turn out to be disappointments. If I ask for the gift, then that is fine, but suprises are just terrible. 95% of the time, I hate suprises and suprise gifts... they always just end up being a very negative thing.

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    But do any of you feel the same way about *giving* gifts to loved ones? I feel guilty as heck if I don't get certain people a gift...I wouldn't even think about it.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I like to give gifts and I like to get gifts. They don't have to be extravagant or anything...it's just fun to me to get them.

bc

11. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Not that important, but I do appreciate the thought behind it.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree, but it's not about what the thing is, it can be a card. It's just nice to know people think of you. I still say people stress about gifts way too much.

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Meh, Idunno, gifts always just seemed like a hassle and a waste to me. I like christmas because of the good times had with family, not because I get/give goodies. If not getting/giving goodies means more times with family, then sign me up.

14. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    My best "gifts" I've bought myself, so I don't really care about other people's gifts much. If I want something, I'll save up the money to buy it myself

But cash is always welcome. ;)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't think a yes answer from anyone in this thread (including me!) means that we like Christmas because of the gifts.

bc

16. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I feel really driven to get people gifts.
    Family, close friends,cards.
    If I don't give people gifts I feel really guilty especially if they unexpectedly get me something.

17. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    +1 if I'm correctly interpreting this quote.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I like getting gifts. The unexpected ones are best.

-Mike

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't view Christmas as a time purely for family or purely for gifts. I like to think I interact with my family on a regular basis throughout the year. I also give family and friends gifts throughout the year.

As a man who likes expensive things, I'd say I'm fairly hard to shop for. I normally ask for music or movies as they are generally much cheaper than the bass/electronics gear that interests me.

20. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    That's not what I said, although I'm fully aware that is what my post implied. Nevertheless, I believe the most important part of my response was the part you didn't quote, where I go on to say that I'd rather spend more time enjoying family if it means there are no gifts. That really is the crux of my opinion.