Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How important are "looks" to you?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Ok kids - be honest...how important is the look of your rig? It's way too important to me. I should be paying attention to my playing and the sound of my band, not how my bass amp looks. And I'm not sure very many non-musicians care. I don't think there is a bass rig on the planet that would even get you noticed by most non-musicians, especially women. Sorry if that remark offends any women here. Then you have to factor in that what looks good to me, may be laughable to you. Let's face it though, if any of us walked into a bar and saw an old SVT sitting on an SVT 8X10 - that would at least get our attention.

Chime in. Also let me know what you think looks good and what you think looks stupid.

Skel

2. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It matters - within reason. All other things being equal - which they usually are not - I would go for the good-looking rig over the homely rig any day. Same goes especially for instruments. But beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder...

MM

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I don't care much really actually. I like my cabs to not look silly together and my head to fit on top properly. Other than that it's not really a major concern, of course if something was just outright ugly I might have a problem but I find it hard to think of anything in the cabs/amps catergory that fits in that catergory.

4. I really don't consider looks in making decisions. It's not like amps look different anyway. All black with a grille. Oh my!

With basses, it defintiely has to look somewhat good, though.That's different.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really don't care, but I think my GK rig looks GREAT!

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Oh, I dunno. Trace Elliot green, for example, takes a little getting used to, aesthetically speaking...

MM

7. Its very important for me in basses but not so in amps as I personally dont think any of them look particuarly asthetically pleasing.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm getting a cab built right now that's going to match my 70's Bassman. That wasn't the reason I had the cab built, nor would it break the deal - it's just cool.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Not nearly as much as my bass.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yep.

+1

:D

Joe.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea, I here all of you. I can't stand looking at somebody playing bass when their bass is really ugly. I'm the most pleased when the bass looks very traditional like a P or J - I don't know why - maybe old Leo put a lot of thought into how the bass would look, and maybe I tend to like what is familiar to me.

Skel

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    And I can spell "hear"...really. I learn how to spell a lot of words right hear on TB.

Skel

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Some amps look real nice, some look... well... functional.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I think an amp (with its cabs) looks better when it's bigger.

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Interesting. My bandmates haven't yet seen my Aguilar GS-112, or my GK-1001RB-II. I want to bring this rig over next week and just observe the look on their faces before they hear it.

Skel

16. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Heh heh.

Cool.

Make sure you post they way they responded!

:D

Joe.

17. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I actually think they're going to say something like "Hey, nice tackle box for your cables and stuff - need help getting your amp out of the van"?

Skel

18. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Hey, I love Trace green! You hurt my feelings. :crying: ...................................:D j/k

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Much more important than sound. Audiences can't discern the difference in sound between a Wishbass and a Fodera, but they sure can see a good-looking bass.

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    All I really care about is that my gear doesn't call too much attention to itself. I don't think anybody cares about bass gear -- the audience or even the musicians.