1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Important DI Box for Bassist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tyohars, Nov 4, 2019.

1. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    So, I was a plug and play bassist until a few months ago. Now I have a compressor (Hyper Luminal), overdrive (Boss ODB 3), and modulation (MXR Chorus Deluxe). So, my father happen to know bass player from one of the biggest band in my country and I talk to him a few weeks ago. So, he tell me the importance of DI Box. Is it really that important? I have a Sire V7 and MIJ Fender P. Are Radial Stage Bugg good enough for my first DI?

2. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    They're important but not super important. Most amps have a DI out. Depends if you want your amp to be involved in any EQing.

3. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    In my country, not famous musician like mine not using our own amp. We only bring bass and pedalboard. So, what do you think?

4. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    DI's have changed over the years. Its made to take a high impedance signal to low impedance. But over the years they have changed to make the signal similar to a pre/Di (add color/ hi and low eq/distortion). But I agree a DI is important when connection to a PA or recording console is required. As far as the original post requesting a question about the radial stage bug for your first DI. I used one once and it worked fine as the sound company found them easy to use and pack away. I prefer the radial JDI or J48. But to have a DI with you and easy to carry the stage bug would be great and priced right.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Zbysek likes this.
  5. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I live in Thailand. It is pretty much the same situation as Indonesia. Every bar will have amps available and often they are mic’d.
    I sold my DI pedals in Thailand. No real need for them here.

Edit : If you need a preamp you can use a DI/Preamp. My experience of using the same preamp pedal on different amps proved to be quite annoying. I prefer to work with the EQ section of whatever amp I play. YMMV

6. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    Depending on if your venues supply their DI/backline. :smug:

7. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    They would just use the DI on the amp supplied or a separate DI box the venue has. I wouldn't say it's necessary then.

8. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This is predicated on the necessity of bass being supported via FOH sound system and/or stage monitoring.

Having some form of DI feed to the mains that is independent of that coming from an amp head preamp can act as a very useful fail-safe in the event the head shuts down for any reason. If you have the available channels at the mixing board, it's worth doing. Often you'll find a combination of mic'd bass cabinet and DI (before the bass amp head).

The advent of cabinet simulation in preamp pedals has provided a good alternative to the mic'd aspects of the bass feed to FOH systems. This is the whole idea behind the SansAmp BDDI and many other pedals (modeler multi-fx) that provide both tone and cabinet simulation, thus you can have essentially a complete bass tone sent via DI to mixing desks without jumping through any hoops. Even better when these preamp/cab sim boxes can be battery powered.

It's all about making sure "the show must go on", and so that the bass sound doesn't suffer terribly when the stage rig is crapping out, or is crap to begin with.

Zbysek likes this.
  9. Ken Morgan

Ken Morgan

Jun 14, 2014
    Midland, TX
    Carry a Radial Pro DI to every gig...if PA will be involved im pretty adamant about using it, regardless of what may be available.

Zbysek likes this.
  10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Since the early 90s I always had a SABDDI (later a SAPBDDI) at the end of my pedal board chain. XLR out for sound guys/girls always there.

Previous to that in Blighty I always played with sound reinforcement (hired or venue provided), and they always had one.

One sound guy I used to work with always had a vintage D12 that he used on my cabs (plus a DI box) for earthshaking sound.

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    In over 45 years of gigging I have *never* done a show at a venue that had a PA but didn’t have a DI for me.

So while a DI is crucial for getting bass into the PA, I don’t consider it important at all...because it’s not part of the bassist’s responsibilities.

Mushroo likes this.
  12. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Same here. When I was gigging a ton every single place I went to that had FOH support would have a DI for me. But as mentioned, a DI now can be more of a tone shaping tool so I do carry my own RNDI Because it sounds so good.

Zbysek likes this.
  13. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Yes.

Yes.

14. tyohars

tyohars

Nov 11, 2016
    After reading your reply, I think I'm not in hurry to bought a DI. So, thank you gor your input!

15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I don't consider having a DI essential, but still a darn good piece of gear to have. I always had BDDI at the end of my chain and since going preampless a little over a year ago, I strapped a JDI on the side of my pedalboard. A little additionnal benefit I get from placing it at the end of the chain: it helps keep my rig almost-dead quiet.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021