1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How important is 1 cubic foot in a cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jontom, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I'm looking for an inexpensive empty 410 cabinet for some Eden 10's. I can't locate any specs on the speakers. Through some light detective work on the Eden site, I found that the smallest 410 cab that Eden makes is about 6.15 cu.ft. inside and has a bottom slot port. The closest cab I've found is going to clock in at 5.32 cu.ft. and also has a bottom slot port. How much will be missing without that .83 cu.ft?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll bet a lot. Bill Fitzmaurice can probably clue you in in excrutiating detail.

3. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    not to thread steal but can you go bigger cubic feet without a problem?

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    +1.

That's a lot of extra space for some air to move.

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    The port tuning matters as well. You might find out what cab those speakers are for, and then find someone on here to measure the cabs demensions for you, and reverse engineer it to be close to Eden's specs.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    In my view, a 15% reduction in box volume is not a deal breaker. The change in box volume will mainly raise the cutoff frequency by around 8% (based on square root of the ratio of box volumes). The change to the response curve will probably be at most a dB or so.

More important in my view is the port tuning frequency, which you can measure, and modify if absolutely necessary.

7. gerryjazzman

gerryjazzman Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    If you're at all handy you could build a cabinet that's a close copy of an Eden cabinet. Not knowing exactly which cabinet the drivers came from makes it a bit tricky to figure out the porting. The Eden cabs don't just have a port slot (or 2), but they're actually slot-shaped ducts (at least the XLT's and XST's except I've heard they are even longer, being bent around inside the cab but I doubt your drivers are from one of those). I have a D210XLT and the two port ducts appear to be about 15.5 inches long (I was able to measure them with a tape measure). Might be similar to a 410XLT but maybe someone who has one could measure theirs to make sure.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I haven't measured an XLT but over 6cu.ft. seems pretty big for almost any commercially available 410. The entire framework that makes up the top and bottom shelf ports must be deducted from the internal volume as well as the drivers themselves plus any bracing, handles and anything else other than open airspace. 5.3 cu.ft., if it's net internal volume is closer to your typical 410.

9. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have a GK SBX410, and it's sealed. It's closer to 4.4 cf3 internal. The drivers have a model number on the back of them. You can contact to manufacture to at least get an idea of what cab they were for, and then go from there. GK has a parts website, and tells you what the replacement speakers are for the each cab. Maybe Eden has the same.
    Wes

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you're looking for the flat, fat nth degree of fidelity then probably a lot ... if you're willing to accept some compromises in low end and max volume out put - and ghet a cab on the cheap - load 'er up. Just pay atention when you're pushing low bass through it at volume to avoid unpleasant suprises... Note: I haven't done this with 10's. My experience swapping 15's around tell's me that there is a degree of hokum about this stuff and that the tolerances are far broader than some would have us believe ...