How important is an open rack space?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JRB, Mar 16, 2005.

1. JRB

JRB Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Hi all you crazy bass players,

I just got a new, and great amp set up. I got a Steart 2.1 with an aguilar 659 and a power conditioner. Right know I have it all in a 4 space rack. Is this ok or do I really need an extra space for ventilation. The Stewart fan is on the back and the pre on goes a little ways back so it might not be a big deal.

If a space is needed I probably will just ditch the power conditioner and get a very good power strip. I don't really feel like getting a bigger rack.

Thanks for the info,

2. If you don't have any vents on the top, bottom, or sides of your amp, I really don't see a problem in using all the room in your rack. I had a setup similar to this and never ever had a problem with overheating. The fan in a QSC USA 1310, however, is pretty huge. More like an air conditioner. Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you should be fine. i have used a stew for quite a while in 4, 6 and now a 2 space rack. in all the setups at one time or another there were no spaces open (obviously there aren't any now in the 2 space rack). i did have one channel fail at one time, but that wasn't due to heat. stewart was very good about repairing it. anyhow, as you know the stew has an air intake on the front and a fan on the back - no side, top, or bottom vents to worry about. I've pushed mine quite a bit and never even really felt it getting anywhere as hot as some of my other amps had even when not rackmounted.
  4. bassjam

Aug 2, 2004
    Lakland Basses,Genz Benz
    ive used a stewart 2.1 for years without a free space in the rack.never had a problem.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

At a loud outdoor gig in humid 90-degree conditions, I kept cool by standing in the breeze of my Stew 2.1.

Well, that's a slight exaggeration, but the Stew remained nice and cool even with a hot Ampeg SVP-Pro directly above it and no open rack space anywhere.