Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How important is cab volume in a sealed cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 30, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The replacement driver (Eminence BP102) for the Ampeg SVT810 wants 1.66 sq ft/driver. But the SVT cab is not that big. It can offer only 1.06 sq ft/ driver according to my rough calculations. How will this affect the sound if you should change the drivers in an SVT810 to the BP102´s? :confused:

2. That pushes the Qtc up to about 0.813 or a solid "bump" in the mid-bass, and faster rolloff.

Sealed boxes are MUCH more forgiving of volume changes.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep at QTC of 8 or so is not a drastic change. the original cab probably had a Qtc of 7 to start with.

Have a look at the attached screenshot. I just used a dummy speaker to create a frequency curve with a Qtc of roughly 7 (yellow line). Then I adjusted the box so the Qtc is 8.5 (green line).

Hope that helps you visualise it.

4. Jesus this guy is good ^^^

5. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Yes he has mastered the art of plugging numbers into WinlSD

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You guys rule! Thanks! :bassist:

7. Jock, you are looking at an F3 around 61 Hz. Don't expect this to have a big bottom, because it will not.

With an EBP of 80, this driver is marginally more suited for a vented box. The Qts is pretty high, and combined with this EBP, means it has a weak (read: cheap) magnetic motor. The low BL of 10 confirms this.

The BP102 appears to be about the only publicly available replacement driver for your purpose. If indeed it is a direct replacement for your cab, then it is the best choice, because it will match with the others.