How important is it for me to be right?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Never met a carrot I didn't like

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Why I oughta ...

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Having a good discussion is more important than being right

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. What's the problem? I'm alway right so get over it.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. Tuna Noodle Casserole is NEVER right!

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  6. Would you rather be right or left (by yourself)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. People who always have to right are wrong

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  8. I hate myself but if people would just listen to me I could straighten them out

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  9. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  1. It's not as important to be right as it is to convince other people you are right.

2. I'm going to stop you right there...

slobake likes this.
  3. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Under the flight path
    One of my lifelong learning tasks is to learn to sometimes let other people have their way even when they're not right. While this includes 'This hill is not worth dying on,' it's not limited to that. I've had to learn that I don't necessarily see the world the way others do, and if I present a solution to a problem, it's entirely possible that not only will nobody else have thought of this, they won't understand it - or they won't like it. I'm NOT saying that I'm smarter than everybody and I present solutions that are so sophisticated that the idiots simply don't have the mental wherewithal to process what I'm saying. My solutions can be... different.

Not only do people sometimes not understand or like them, I don't understand why they don't understand or like them! Hey, if it works, why not do it? Sure, if there's a reason that makes sense to me, I can often be very easily persuaded that my way is not viable. But I have a lot of trouble with 'I don't like this' as an objection. WHY don't you like it? Explain it to me so I can understand (and probably twist your arm).

I don't always get to understand. And I don't always get to solve the problem. Sometimes I get to save a relationship instead, and this is frustrating because that's another thing I don't understand: If you don't like my solution to this problem we're trying to solve, why do *I* have to be the one to back down to save the relationship? And why is the relationship so fragile that we can't just butt heads, figure something out, leave with someone temporarily unhappy, and get back to work with no hard feelings the next day?

People are so complicated.

slobake likes this.
  4. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    "Am I right?
    Am I right?
    Yeah, I'm lonely and I'm right"

Fair
    Ben Folds Five

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    slobake likes this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It's not important for you to be right. It's important for ME to be right.

hrodbert696 and slobake like this.
  6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    the importance of a person being right is dwarfed by the importance of a person being able to admit they are wrong

slobake likes this.
  7. I'm kinda stuck with some people right now that always have to be right, and to be honest, it's been a dominant part of me for a long while too. I'm trying to chill out, but hey, not being a turd isn't something you put to practice too quickly.

CatSquare likes this.
  8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    It's very important for me to be right. I usually stake out my position after some research though; also on those rare occasions where I am wrong, I want to be wrong for as short a time as possible. If you think I'm wrong, feel free to correct me and tell me why. I'm not trying to convince others I'm right, I'm not a teacher.

9. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    People that have to be right all the time repulse me. I try to distance myself from them as soon as possible.

10. Watch yourself when distancing...

merger-verger-falls-off-a-cliff.jpg

hrodbert696 and sissy kathy like this.
  11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Well, personally I don't think it's very important at all for you to be right. And, seeing as how I am (by definition, royal decree, and grace of the Almighty) always right, I'd say that settles that....:whistle:

slobake likes this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sometimes, I'm in conflict with myself, as I tend to both agree, and disagree, on things I haven't yet spoken of...

slobake likes this.
  13. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I'm usually wrong....Sad really....:(

14. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Hey look at that. You're right.

sissy kathy likes this.
  15. slobake

slobake resident ... something

Sometimes I get so mad I don't talk to myself for weeks.

ZenG likes this.
  16. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    So one of the few times that I'm right is because I'm usually wrong?....

Even sadder....:rollno:

17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good thing you don't like salt...

slobake likes this.
  18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    It is less right for you to be right than is is for me to be right, which, obviously, is more right.
    Proved by science folks, you can't argue with that.
    It's so obvious, it's obviously true. Everyone is saying this.

slobake likes this.
  19. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I ready to admit that you're always right; as long as you agree with me.

20. Fat Freddy

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    I don't agree with you......See?....I'm probably wrong yet again....:unsure:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021