Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How important is Playing Bass, to You?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Aug 26, 2003.

1. It is everything to me - in fact my living and the only thing I would want to be doing.

27 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. It is an obsession and although I don't earn my living that way necessarily - all I really like doin

60 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Music is the most important thing in my life - although I'm not that good a player.

27 vote(s)
    13.1%
  4. Music is my main hobby and takes up a lot of my time although I have others.

61 vote(s)
    29.6%
  5. Music is one of my main interests and I play when I can.

25 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. I like the idea of being in a band, but I'm not going to bust a gut to be a great musician.

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. I like music and bass playing, but I don't think I'll ever be in a band.

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. I have a passing interest in bass and listen to music, but it's not my main interest.

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  9. Music is a really big interest , but I am not ever going to play bass in a band or anything like tha

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. I am not interested in being in a band and will never be a serious bass player.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - I was interested to see how many people are serious bass players and how many just have a passing interest or maybe aren't bass players at all?

I sometimes think there are very few really serious bass players around here or people who see music as the most important thing in their life (apart from family etc.) - but would be interested in honest answers.

2. I posted the 4th option from the top...I mean I'm not really good on bass (been playing about 2 years) and I have other interests but I am in a band.

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I was option one for a long time, and now I'm option two. Ultimately, I think your life, personality, and experiences show in your playing. If you have no life and/or experiences outside of music, the music suffers.

So, I got married, went back to school, took up a gym membership, and started appreciating nature and the like. I still take music - not just the bass - dead seriously, but I realize that a certain well-roundedness in life translates to the most rich results musically.

4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    It is my main hobby but I don't get much of a chance to play now that school has started.

5. Kruser

Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Germany
    I voted for the main hobby option, because in a month I begin to study chemistry a lokal universityand time will get short then. Hopefully I can stay in my band......

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But you can still find time to post on TB ...priorities? :meh:

7. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I choose: It is an obsession and although I don't earn my living that way necessarily - all I really like doing.

I have been playing since 78 with no time off really, Music is everything besides my beautiful wife which sings in one of my bands, It got me through a lot of tough times especially battleing Cancer. I recorded My original bands first CD while going through treatments and it got me through the bad days. I have made a go of doing it for a livin a few times but to own a house or buy the gear I need I always have had a full time job, Actually the same job since 82, My job lets me have time for music.
    I play in three bands regularly (1 of them for the last 16 years) and wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I have been a musician since I was 12 or 13. When I started, I thought music was "It!" But reality sets in after a while.

My objective with my Bass playing is to be solid, and deliver a well played, if not exceptional performance in rehearsal as well as onstage.

I can't play with alot of finess, but I do work to play properly because I care about what I am doing, and I practice those passages that give me trouble, until I get them right.

I do love being in a band, and getting paid for gigs. I am not obsessed, I think I am realistic.

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One of my main interests, and I play when I can. I play in bands (taking them rather seriously) and generally practice around 10 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the day, with an average of 20-30 minutes daily.

While I've spent the most money on bass, I've other interests that far outweigh the time invested (writing), and other musical pursuits that eat into bass time (vocals). Though it's definitely #2, right behind writing.

10. Morkolo

Morkolo

Aug 11, 2003
    Newfoundland
    Well to be completely honest I would have to say myself that bass is more of a crutch than anything else. In the year and maybe one month that I have been playing I have logged more hours into it, that the relationships that I would have at the time would more than likely fall apart. But being 18, surprisingly family is the most important aspect in my life. Due to the fact that my family is strained and very hostile at some points it cause this to come through my music. Having professional musicians come up and ask me to play for them, having people who have seen me grow in the last year with my bass show deep respect to me, there is one simple answer. Bass has become my one true love, and as sick as that may sound.. it's the truth. I wouldn't call it my life, I would just call it something I hold close to me, that no one else may be able to understand.

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I had to pick the obsession answer.

I know it's an obsession because of all the compromises I have made in my life to let me go play in grungy smoke filled bars till wee in the morning only to get 3-4 hours sleep before going off to work again.

I know it's an obsession because of the strain it's put on my family and marriage.

I know it's an obsession because of all my other interests (including going to other musician's performances) that I have abandoned so that I can play music.

I know it's an obsession when I lie awake at night after a long drive home after some worthless gig wondering if I shouldn't just chuck it all.

I know it's an obsession because all of my friends are other musicians.

12. I chose: music is my main hobby and takes up a lot of my time, although I have others.

I would love however for it to become a living, although after only 1 and a half years its a long way off yet.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've been a bassist for 22 years. A professional for 15 years.

Music is my spiritual center. I express myself best and to my greatest satisfaction through bass playing.

I think to live without would leave me withered.

honest answer.

14. It is my main hobby again after 33 years - almost an obsession, but I still find time for my girlfriend, my 3 daughters, travel and a little golf. :)

And I am amazed that Bruce has posted a poll!! :eek: :ninja:

15. It is my main hobby and I find music and bass more and more interesting every day, that's one of the reasons why i also recently took up double bass

16. I hesitated between #2 & #3 but I chose #3.

Yes, music is my life, it's an obsession, a passion. I'd be really glad to earn my life playing bass, but I don't consider myself a very good bassist.

I mean, I try to be solid and tasty, but not overly technical. I can't really slap or tap, but I think my fingerstyle technique is pretty good. I'm not into flashy technique anyway, although I can enjoy it when someone else is doing it.

BTW, I've been playing for nearly 13 years, always been in at least one band.

Ditto!

17. I hear you brianrost.... ditto on every point.

Regarding the importance of bass playing… rather, I guess I strive to be a competent bandmember overall . This means having other skills such as the ability to setup the PA, monitors, lights, run lights with a stompbox (light controller) while playing bass, singing backup vocals, playing keyboards on some songs, and booking gigs.

Yes, it’s a handful, but the way I see it… club owners don’t hire bass players, they hire bands. Playing instruments with competence is important. But, if your band looks and sounds a notch above the competition, you are more likely to be hired for special engagements (better exposure, better pay.) YMMV
    :)

18. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I chose this:

Music is my main hobby and takes up a lot of my time although I have others

Music and bass are both a very big deal to me. The more I get into music, the more interested I am in composing. I'm really itching to finish my first semester of theory so I can start making rudimentary songs instead of just messing around with scales. I didn't choose any of the first 3 because I sometimes get discouraged on bass or don't practice every day. Bass is not quite an obsession for me, but music surely is.

19. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I say obsession. Granted there are other things I enjoy besides playing bass, but of all the things I do, I have the most experience, enjoyment and ability when it comes to bass and music.

I've done plenty of things that would easily justify the fact that it IS an obsession...

I'd love to do music for a (decent) living (I've done it for a non-decent living), and perhaps one day I will. For now, I'm working my way upwards so that if and when that opportunity arises, I'll be there to take it.

EDIT: Also kudos to Bruce for posting the first non-useless poll in a while! :bag:

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I could've voted for a couple of selections. I've modified them as follows:

• Music is [one of the most important things] in my life - although I'm not that good a player.
    • Music is my main hobby and takes up a lot of my time although I have others.
    • I like [being in a few bands], but I'm not going to bust a gut to be a great musician.

I don't want to sound too modest: even though I can barely sing a lick I'm in two regularly gigging bands as well as other projects, so I must be doing something right. But I know my limitations, one of which is the fact that I'm not currently busting my gut. So at this point I consider myself a bass player, and not a musician.