1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Important is Speaker Sim?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by noveltea93, Apr 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    I'm looking to update my DI pedal (we're using a sansamp bassdriver v1 I think. No mid knob) and was wondering how important it is to have speaker/cab sim in the pedal. A lot of reviews run DIs through amps and I primarily use mine through the house. Would I be better served finding a DI with sim, buying a preamp/EQ and a separate sim pedal, or does it not matter that much? Recommendations are encouraged if you have a favorite setup.

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    My absolutely favorite setup is some kind of tube pedal for warmth or volume and a cab sim pedal. Specifically a Valve Caster and an OmniCabSimDlx. I only ever send DI signals, running ampless.

The cab sim pedal offers the ability to tune the sound to be close to a mix's can, and can be tuned for the venue easily - ie remove rumble, or add punch to cut. In recording land it sounds great, and fits well into mixes.

I like having dirt and post EQ \ CabSim separate, if gives much more flexibility for tuning both parts of the sound. And you can keep your cab sound, but add new and different dirt without added interaction from onboard dirt like what's in the sansamp for example. This means you can have 3 dirt flavors and one can setting that works nice for them all.

noveltea93 likes this.
  3. Your Bass Driver already has a cab sim built into it. :) Well a speaker sim anyway. It supposed to mimic a close miced speaker.
    Brent

eriky4003 and pudgychef like this.
  4. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    To clarify, I'm looking to upgrade from the Bass Driver to something with a more robust EQ (specifically mid controls). Would it be a big disadvantaged if the new pedal lacked cab or speaker sim?

Blu bro likes this.
  5. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    So you prefer everything separate for versatility and customization, but still find the cab sim important for good sound? Makes sense to me.

6. Ah! My apologies.
    Not necessarily. It really depends on what you want to hear. Depending on the venue your audience may not notice?
    If you use distortion or overdrive you might want a cab sim. Distortion through a DI tends to sound brittle. If you like the sound of your Sansamp you could just pick up a cab sim like the Omnicab. That's been getting good reviews on here. It has plenty of eq choices. Another low cost alternative would be the Digitech Cabdrvr. Its really a good time to be a bassist! Lots of options.
    Brent

noveltea93 likes this.
  7. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Thanks for clearing that up! So generally it's not a huge difference on clean tones, but can be fairly noticeable on grittier effects?

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. I would say yes? Certainly a cab sim could warm up a plain DI signal as well but usually fuzz or distortion likes a some treble roll off to get rid of the "GACK" tone. Although I've heard some clips from the Darkglass stuff which was just DI'ed and it sounded fine.There is a great vid on YouTube of the Two Notes Le Bass where the user turns on distortion with and without the cab sim. Its quite dramatic. Mitch Baker I believe was the user.

Brent

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    geof_ likes this.
  9. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    VT Bass DI has built in cab sim that can be turned off and it offers control over mids, or just upgrade to BDDI V2

10. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    It's critical, for every time I use, except for synth sounds. A good cab sim even makes synth sounds more bass guitar like.

TrevorR likes this.
  11. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I used to go through my effects pedals into a Radial JDI,and straight to the board. Sounded great.

12. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I have the same question as the OP. To the OP, how much do you blend in the cab sim sound? I tend to only set mine pretty low around 25% or less for clean sounds, and only go to around 50% blend on dirtier sounds. I kind of would like to try a more versatile overdrive/distortion sound since the SansAmp is all I use for dirt. Also, I tend to turn of the cab sim with synth pedal, but might be doing that “wrong”. I was kind of GASsing for a Plex, but if you read those threads, many users say in needs a cab sim.

13. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    If you like the Sansamp but want to "upgrade" definitely go for the VTDI. Amazing pedal.

Kro, TrevorR and Axstar like this.
  14. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    I usually set my blend around 50% to start then adjust as needed. Like you, I typically find myself in the 25-50% range.

15. noveltea93

noveltea93

Feb 5, 2018
    Yeah I've heard some very good things about. It's definitely on my list if I decided to stick with SansAmp. I'm not tied to the brand necessarily, it's just the one I have the most exposure to and experience playing through.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If it's for recording, it can be important. cab simulations can come in handy for recording situations. it makes your bass sound much smoother(rather if you play clean or distorted bass). for live, not so much. if you have a live rig you like, then it's not really necessary.

17. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    going straight to FOH would seem to give a more hi-fi sound .. ?! similar to recording via DI ... i think a Good cab sim would be very helpful ... i have a line 6 HD ProX , and i do not care for it's cab sims .. ?!

i recently picked up a PLEX , also not liking to HD ProX GK bass pre/amp sim , ... it sounds/works fine ... it does have an FX loop , loop in what's needed ..

18. I run through the house only and use a SansAmp VT Bass DI with speaker sim turned on and always get compliments from the sound guy. I used to use the regular SansAmp Bass Driver but switched to the VT and I like it better. It has a mids knob, and also the "character" knob is essentially a mids control that is before the gain stage, so it really helps you shape your tone if you're pushing the drive a little. Also, a speaker sim is especially useful if you're using any type of fuzz/distortion, then it will filter out the harsh fizzy high end.

TrevorR likes this.
  19. sigterm

sigterm ;) ;) ;), love y'all Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2003
    Atlanta G of A
    Im looking forward to dg vmt ultra 2 with the cab sim. I was looking into the le bass but want to wait for the vmtu2 coming out any day now.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  20. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007

ObsessiveArcher likes this.