Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How important is the power amp in a Hi-Fi rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Nov 19, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now I was tempted to to ask a stupid question but I know you need a power amp to go with your pre to get sound so we'll leave that one alone :D

What I was wondering was if I bought a decent hi-fi pre something like the new ashdown one with the digital outs pre and post eq, or an avalon u5 or what ever takes my fancy. Could I plug it into the power in on my ashdown combo and bypass the abm pre and have a small dual pre amp rig that does hi-fi and lo-fi (so to speak.)

Or is it just a waste of time and money. Obviously I'd never plug anything hi-fi into a behringer (no ashdown jokes pls ;) ) and expect a miricle but I was thinking with a decent amp already it might be quite a good idea.

Or would I be much better off buying an ashdown labs head and switching between pre in and outs and stuff and mix and match cabs?.

Just a though guys give me your input. Thanks

2. Sure. If you're running an ABM, it seems to me (without playing it) that it would be kind of a waste to get an Ashdown preamp, unless you want to record direct to digital of course. Thing is in a studio setting you wouldn't necessarily need the amp anyway.

Back to your question though, you realize that when you run to the power amp in the preamp on the combo is bypassed. I knew you did. However if you wanted something totally different in a preamp it would work great. I don't know how much power the Ashdown puts out, but later on you can always go for a power amp if you need more volume.

Just my $0.02.