How important is the silk at the ends of flatwound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by el_Bajo_Verde, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Just installed some DR Legend Flats on my Schecter. I had to cut some near the nut so it would fit the 35" scale, and most of the silk near the ball ends got torn up upon installation since it was a tight fit.

Could the string come apart at either end if too much silk is removed?

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    You cut the silk of that would have otherwise rested over the finger board?

If that is the case I doubt the strings will unravel, but generally you don't want this because the string on the tuning peg side of the nut has a narrower diameter. As a result it would potentially make the string not sit tightly in the nut or reduce the normal amount of tension you need on the strings. The latter could result in more fret buzz, higher action, and or neck back bowing. I'm guessing it is so little that you notice none of this and should play on until you need new strings.

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Well, it's good for letting me know which set I'm installing back onto a bass :p

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Main thing is to cover the windings. Under the silk it is usually not polished and not as pretty. Potentially sharp.

With those strings specifically they are round core so that can be more of a problem.

5. I'd say I cut about 1/4 inch, just enough that there was no more silk over the nut. There was still plenty of full thickness string under the silk.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    To clarify. Removing the strings and reinstalling can be a problem. More so as they are round core.

I'd leave it if only some silk is in the nut and the string sits and plays fine. If the strings is thinner where the silk is removed it may bottom out on the first fret.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021