How importent is Please and Thank You to you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 15, 2005.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I personaly remain very mindfull of it, i think it has alot to do with what you were taught as a Child. How importent are these words of courtesy to you?.
  2. I hardly ever use "please" (though I probably should), but I do use "thank you" regularly.
  3. Important for me to use, not so much for recieving.
  4. Of utmost importance. It simply conveys consideration for others. I've taught my kids to be mindful of others by using "please" and "thank you".

Not to go on a rant, but it's somewhat irritating for me to encounter people who won't thank me for my business (i.e. fast food joints), for my allowing them in before me in traffic (with a simple hand gesture) or through a door, etc. I wouldn't dream of not extending a "please" or "thank you". OK, rant over. For now. :D
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    What he said.
  6. +1.

I use, "Thank You," all the time, but,"please," a little less often.

"You're welcome," is quickly becoming a dinosaur response, IMHO. Most of the time when I say, "Thank You," to someone, they simply say, "Thank You," in response with a little more emphasis on "You." :rollno:

What I absolutely can't stand (though it's being said more and more) is when someone says, "Let me get," instead of, "Can I have." :spit:

The more polite the person that's taking care of me is, (waiter, waitress, bartender) the bigger the tip.

If there's a tip cup in a place that usually doesn't have one (small sandwich shop, et cetera) and I give them a tip, and don't hear,"thank you," I'll never give another one.

Sorry for my rant.

Please forgive me? :(

Thank you.

Mike :D
  7. Good manners is good manners.

"Please and Thank You" is part of good manners.

I was taught them. I teach my kids them. I usually use the Thank You part.
  8. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Eh please are not the magic word for me... NOW is...

Said that i say both all the time... just you know... if you want me to get to do something its "NOW" because i am lazy as ****
  9. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Very, it can change the way I deal with you.
  10. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    We all know how "Hannibal the Cannibal" dealt with the rude ones.

11. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Politeness is the Vaseline of social intercourse.
  12. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    One of my biggest peeves is poor manners. Doesn't it tick you off when you hold a door for someone and they don't even acknowledge it?

My wife and I raised our daughter (now 16) to practice good manners. I can't tell you how many times people have commented on that.

13. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I almost never say please. Once you're past the age where your mommy or daddy would scold you for not saying it, it tends to sound very formal, unnatural and unnecessary. I don't think I've ever heard an adult say please unless they were a tech support person or something ("please give your email address," "please fill out this form").

I always say thank you, but I don't notice whether or not other people say it.

I guess it has to do with how I was brought up. My parents never stressed please, only thank you. "You're welcome" never seems natural to me either.
  14. Please don't make topics like this. Thank you.

:D !!
  15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA

They're "nice to haves". More important though, is the respect of interpersonal boundaries. People can say "please" and "thank you", and still trample all over your boundaries. Words are less important than behavior. It's the "behavior", that really tells you where someone is coming from. IMO.

Platitudes are relatively meaningless. Behavior is what counts. Especially in times of stress, which is when people really define themselves. :)
  16. They are simple signs of good courtesy and tactfulness (whether or not they sound "right" or are "comfortable" to use). Sorry to rain on another poster's parade, but being an adult has NOTHING to do with whether or not words of courtesy are appropriate or not.

Interesting to note that both "please" and "thank you" are two of the first expressions you will learn in ANY new language course.
  17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    It's extremely important, at least here in the UK.

When I worked in pubs I used to refuse to serve people if they didn't say please.

"I'll take a beer"

No, you won't.
  18. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Very important in my house. My 2 year old all ready knows how to use them, however I really never stressed it yet. She just naturally picked up on it. Makes me smile every time. stepboys are another story. The other night I bought an XBOX and a couple o games for them...I did not recieve a thank you until thier mother, (my wife)...asked them, "What do you tell, Don, for getting the XBOX?" They then said thank you...but ya know...I know they were excited and all...but when you have to remind someone to say thank you like just dosn't cut it for me....

Anyways....I'm done.

Thank you for your support.
  19. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    lol , how much glass is in your mouth right now ? j/k

working pubs sucks with all the dumb-dumbs getting more dumb on alcohol.

im ESPECIALLY polite to people in the service industry , and not just restaurants/bars.

the rest of y'all can bite me , step and fetch your own damned food bishes :smug:
  20. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I make a point of saying please and thank you. I really don't take it personally if somebody else doesn't in return, though.