Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How in gods good earth do you pick a body core wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by modulusbassist, Mar 28, 2003.

1. I am planning on building a bass with my local luthier, thinking about Fodera Monarch shape or Pedulla MVP.

There's a pile of mahogany, koa, body core wood and how in the h*ll do you pick a tone wood from the pile.

How can other luthier tell if that wood will be a good tone wood and how do luthier grade their wood from mediocre to "master grade?"

I read michael tobias's little essay and there's a rough guideline regarding weight, color, age, etc. But how do luthier guess the tone of the wood before the bass itself exist?:confused:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You'll probably get a better response on the Luthier's side...

3. Thank you Ken Smith Basses for you time and the tip. Yes, I've read your webpage a dozen time, and I also read mike tobias's webpage.

So rather than worrying about the tone wood, I'll just pick the ones I like, maybe just according to the weight and color just as Mike Tobias said in his website.

4. hoytbasses

hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    I'd add that it's probably a good bet to trust your luthier's instincts on this. If you trust him/her to build your dream bass, trust his/her wood choices:

And you know, we Luthiers are a trustworthy lot... in every bass we install 'trust' rods!

with moderate chortling............

Karl Hoyt