How in gods good earth do you pick a body core wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by modulusbassist, Mar 28, 2003.

1. I am planning on building a bass with my local luthier, thinking about Fodera Monarch shape or Pedulla MVP.

There's a pile of mahogany, koa, body core wood and how in the h*ll do you pick a tone wood from the pile.

How can other luthier tell if that wood will be a good tone wood and how do luthier grade their wood from mediocre to "master grade?"

I read michael tobias's little essay and there's a rough guideline regarding weight, color, age, etc. But how do luthier guess the tone of the wood before the bass itself exist?:confused:
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You'll probably get a better response on the Luthier's side...
  3. Thank you Ken Smith Basses for you time and the tip. Yes, I've read your webpage a dozen time, and I also read mike tobias's webpage.

So rather than worrying about the tone wood, I'll just pick the ones I like, maybe just according to the weight and color just as Mike Tobias said in his website.
  4. hoytbasses

Mar 30, 2003
    Cape Cod
    I build stringed instruments.......
    I'd add that it's probably a good bet to trust your luthier's instincts on this. If you trust him/her to build your dream bass, trust his/her wood choices:

And you know, we Luthiers are a trustworthy lot... in every bass we install 'trust' rods!

with moderate chortling............

Karl Hoyt