How is a 15W amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basroil, May 25, 2005.

1. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
  2. Well, if you have a REALLY quiet drummer maybe

Or if your drummer has an electric kit . . . otherwise, i dont think it'd work im afraid
  3. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    What about playing by yourself?
  4. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Tell your drummer not to use sticks, and the rest of the band to unplug their gear. Then you might be able to hear your bass.
  5. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    dude do not get one of those kits they are really bad i would suggest getting a yamaha bass and a little 10 to 15 watt amp just for practice it's actually cheaper to buy stuff when it's not in a kit like that because you get better guality for the price
  6. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Again, thanks, but what about playing by yourself?
  7. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    that's what the low wattage amp is for because if you want to play with drums you need at least a 100 watt amp and those cost about 300 $
  8. It would be fine for playing by yourself, unless you go OTT like some people and use a half stack for home practice :smug:

But as eric said, probably better with a yamaha or ibanez started bass and another amp

And just use a rehersal room (with thier amps) to practice with the band
  9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You can hear yourself, but its guna sound bad. Try going for an Ibaniz bass, but make sure it has 2 pickups. After that, look for something like 60 watts and a 12 inch speaker.
  10. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Alright, thanks!
  11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I have a 15W (or maybe it's 20W, I'm not sure, it's a Peavey Microbass). Anyways, I do not recommend using one for anything OTHER THAN yourself. Even with a drummer or a guitarist, you will have trouble hearing yourself. I've actually tried doing a show with that Microbass, stupidest thing ever.
  12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    15w isn't hardly enough to even hear yourself. :p

Look for a cheap used Peavey combo and get you a cheap Ibanez, Yamaha, or SX bass. You'll be far happier in the long run.
  13. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Get an Ibanez GSR bass and a Peavey TNT or something.

Used gear is where it's at.
  14. Its all about sound frequency, not really about power.

Guitarists might get away with a 50w amp, but due to the frequency of a bass, you will need about 2x power for the same volume.

15w will be good for practise by yourself, but nothing more...

DO NOT buy package, its better to look at used gear.

I always say - save just a little bit more and you get a whole lot more

Good luck
  15. Southpaw is right. If you can get hold of a good second-hand 2x12 cab and a 100w head (easier to transport), you'll get a good audible sound over the drummer without any clipping. A little 15w amp is great for home use, but you'll probably shred the speaker using it with a band.
  16. PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    15 watts is fine for practicing by yourself, but with a band it won't be enough unless they are very quiet. I've done a lot of gigs--with drums, two guitars and keyboards--using just an ampeg B15, a forty year old tube amp. But that was a band where the drummer wasn't a big hitter and where everybody listened. A forty watt amp will get suprisingly loud, but you won't have any "headroom:" it will be distorting a lot. A fifteen watt amp will just fuzz and blat out and sound bad, unless the drummer is a really really light hitter

Bass frequencies just take a lot more power to produce than guitar frequencies. After many many years of playing, i want a lot of power--not to get loud, but to have consistent, controlled sound. There are a LOT of variables in how loud an amp soounds--the watts rating is only part of it. But fifteen watts is very low for bass

It's not a bad suggestion to have at least 100 watts if you're playing with a drummer. But if all you want is a practice amp, the fifteen watt amp will be fine
  17. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    By "with a drummer", presumably you mean somebody playing a full kit, not someone playing percussion instruments. The drummer in the 'Teeth normally sets up with a snare, a set of bongos and one or two other instruments, which allows me to get away with borrowing the guitarist's small (30W) practise amp (and not needing to turn up above about 2). However, if you're talking a full kit (plus an indeterminate number of other band members), bigger would be better.

18. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    My headphone amp has 15 watts......but that's in bridged-mono. :eyebrow:
  19. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

I would seriousely consider gettin an Essex from Rondo and then haunt the stores, used shops, etc for a POS prctice amp. save a few bucks and get a good strp and decent guitar cords.

heck, specify a cable or strap and get some for birthday, christmas or something.

Berst of Luck,
    Wesley R.
  20. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    From what I've seen, that DRIVE gear is really dismal. Really low-end guitar amps sometimes work, but the bass amps tend not to...they rattle and distort and sound wretched in general.

If you can scrape up just a bit more money and really shop hard, you can probably get a perfectly serviceable outfit. I've seen (and purchased) a lot of great bargain gear for almost nothing. Keep your eyes open and strike when the iron's hot.

Good luck!