Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How is a Clarus with BG?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rebo213, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Hiya
    I´m just started doubling with DB and BG, and i want to change
    my curret rig (ampeg v4-bh + svt 410 hlf). I´m thinking in Acoustic
    Image Clarus series III (or any used series II if i can find any)
    with any cab (maybe an Euphonic Audio Wizzy 112 or an Acoustic Image
    cab or any good 210)... This seems to work well with DB, but have
    any of you tried it with BG? I´ve got a passive fender J-Bass
    Thanks mates

2. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.

I gig out with my 1st generation Clarus, an MXR M-80 preamp in to an Ernie Ball Audiophile 2x10 cab. I've played in a Latin Rock gigs with this rig. In fact the last time I played with this rig was an out door gig. Yes I had PA support, but then I was told to turn down!:bassist:

Attached Files:

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I have been using a Clarus Series II with an Ampeg Portabass 2x10 for 2 years now. I have double of the same for bigger venues. It sounds great - what you put in is what you hear. I run it with anything from a P-Bass to a Sadowsky Modern 5. I play in a 10-piece band, so I was looking for a clean sound and that is what I got. I usually run it with the EQ flat and maybe a little bass dialed in (I'm not a fan of the typical "modern sound" but I like more of a balance sound.)

So yes, I think it works equally great with BG.

BTW, the portabass cab is 38 lbs, with built-in dolly and the Clarus is 5 lbs. !

Volume wise, I almost always go through the PA, so volume is always sufficient. Not for a heavy metal gig, but anything else, it will handle.

4. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    I am an electric bass/EUB/URB doubler. I've used a Clarus head almost exclusively for the last 5 years through various combinations of cabinets including a Peavey 210 TVX, a homemade 1-10 cab built & ported properly for the Eminence speaker that it's loaded with, and a Carvin 210 cab. For louder gigs, I put a 1-15 cab under one of the 210 cabinets. It gets loud enough for any of my gigs. And I really like the 'power section' of the amp. When I play electric, I've never been able to get a sound that pleased me. So for the electric I either use the stomp-box Sansamp Bass Driver or a Zoom 506 pedal into the 'effects return' input and the amp sounds great. I've gotten so that I use the Sansamp with the URB when the venue is relatively noisy, because I can get a decent sound that cuts through the clatter. (With the Zoom I've created several preset EQ settings that have no effects turned...it's actually quiet as long as you don't run it through the preamp section of an bass amp.) For quiet situations, I use the Clarus's preamp for URB & EUB and I just plug my electric bass into the 'return' input. The electric basses I use already have preamps onboard.