Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how is effcient is this cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 14, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well? is this a good cab?

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    EV makes excellent live sound speakers and subs IMO. I couldn't imagine this being a bad speaker cab but I'd be curious to hear it.

brad cook

3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I use to have one B215-M and two B115-M's.
    They are great cabinets, that I wish I still had. The B115-M's aren't as punchy as the B215-M. Even when running two B115-M's in parallel for matched impedence & number of speakers as the B215-M, the B215-M was punchier. I'd say that the B215-M is better suited to rock than the B115-M which is probably better suited to jazz.
    Also, these are older cabinets and don't have the power handling capability as newer designs, but they are still good cabs, but they are bulky too.

4. Oh my God! Where did you find that?? I bought a B215-M brand new back in the early 80's and I still have it. I will be buried in that cab. It is by far the best 2x15 cab I have ever owned and I have owned some legendary cabs. The reason I bought it in the first place was because I wasn't satisfied with my SVT 8x10.

The B215-M came with "L" series drivers which were designed for bass, keyboard, PA and rated at 200 watts RMS each. They're beautiful sounding drivers, but don't like to be pushed. Once you reach their rated output they start to break up quickly. For about $90 per driver you can have them upgraded with the EV Pro-Line recone kit. This changes the drivers from an "L" series to the "B" series which has thicker paper on the cone and gooses the power rating to 400 watts RMS per driver. These are great cabs and if you can find them in good condition...grab them! They can easily compete with anything being made today.

5. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I once had an EV 2x15 cabinet. It was a great cabinet but a bit too big and heavy. I also think this was the best sounding 2x15 I had ever used. Mine was an older one, so ot was styled differently, but it still had a small spkr wired in for highs.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Given that they state 124dB at 200w, that translates to roughly 101dB 1w/1m, which is pretty efficient (right in the middle of bass cab territory).

That's for the 115. Though the 215 is the same, they list 127dB at 400w which is still 101dB 1w/1m.