Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How is he getting that amazing tone???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassdaddy5, May 19, 2005.

1. bassdaddy5

bassdaddy5

May 18, 2005
    Hey Everyone. I'm new to talkbass,what an amazing place for info. I'm 32 and been playing for 18 years. I'm an OK player but terrible at dialing in specific tones. So if anyone has any suggestions I would be very happy to hear them. How does Tim C. from Audioslave, Rage against the machine get his amazing tone. Songs like, Like a Stone (Audioslave) and Bulls on Parade (Rage). I can't afford to spend good money after bad with different pedals until i find this sound. I have the following gear.
    American Fender Jazz Deluxe V
    Ibanez Srx705
    Eden Metro
    Digitech Bp50
    Does anyone else like the tone I'm talking about? It's the perfect sound for the types of songs my band writes.

Cheers

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I always felt I got close with a DOD 250 OD/Pre very good and cheap pedal, have a look around for one.

Now Timmy C is imfamous for not letting his tone secrets slip, he even has dummy pedals on his board to fool people.

He apparently uses/used a Marshall Gov'ner but an early model the new one sound nothing like his tone.

He also had some modified ashdown amps that are constantly in the red and producing a nice bit of overdrive.

Seriously have a look for a dod 250 very cheap especially second hand

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=102/g=home/search/detail/base_id/42046

Another option if you want the best would be the Fulltone Bass Drive, this would probably get you really really close but its quite a bit more than that DOD pedal I have mentioned

Hope this helps

3. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I like the Line6 Bass PODxt. It has 64 preset sounds, which you can modify at the push of a button or twist of a knob.

It is rather complex, and focuses on "tone" not "effects", so you don't hear as much about it as some other units. It has great amp/cabinet modeling (you can select different combinations).

For "Awesome Tone", there are other factors, but there's no escaping the need for great preamp/amp/cabinet - you need to get your sound to your audience's ears. There are two basic approaches:
    * Own a great preamp/amp/cabinet that does one thing extremely well
    * Go with a "flat" amp, like a PA system (or Acme which is reportedly very "flat") and use high-end amp/cabinet modeling like Line6's Bass PODxt

I opted for "pretty good tone" by running the PODxt into my Fender bass-amp...

4. Ahhh...tim commerford...sigh...mmm...o yeah...

hes definitely one of my idols...he does a lot of "secretive" things to acheive his tone, but from what i've read, and what i've learned by meeting him once and seeing him onstage, heres what i can tell u about his setup

3 amp system: mesa m-pulse 600 for clean sound, ampeg svt2 pro for mild/moderate overdrive, ashdown abm 500 evo for really dirty tone

in his ampeg 4x10 and 8x10 cabs, he has custom 10" speakers (juan adelerte, a friend of tims, form the mars volta has an ampeg 8x10 loaded w/ the same speakers, i BELIEVE they are celestion or eminence, i do not know for sure though)

he has a cusotm signal splitter that allows him to keep his clean amp on all the time, while he kicks in 1 or 2 different levels of overdrive...so he ALWAYS has solid low end form the mesa m-pulse, he can then kick in some moderate grit from the svt (last i knew, like 1 year ago, he was using a jimi hendrix fuzz pedal for his mild overdrive grit...i can get similar tone w/ a hao rustride), and on TOP of that, he can kick in his secret distortion. He claimed to make it himself from parts of an old wah pedal...some people claim he jsut re-housed the fuzz from a shin-ei fuzz wah...he also is starting to use more natural overdrive - he got the ashdown abm amp for its valve grind feature...he plugs his active bass into the passive input jack, leaves all the eq flat except for bass (@ 3:00) and has the valve grind dial all the way up...so its either JUST the amp for his distortion or a combination of his pedal and the amp...in RAtM he used an original marshall guv'nor, not the gv-2 for his heavy distortion

his basses are active fender jazzes, which he has cusotmized w/ leo quann badass or hipshot bridges, and put p-bass necks on...he also reqired his pickups by hand w/ a thicker (lower) gauge wire for more sustain and feedback (took him substaintial time)

his wahs are dunlop 105Q bass wahs, and some people claim to have seen him w/ an mxr bass di+ on stage, as well as ebs octabass or bass iq (i think thats very unlikely, except for the mxr bass di+, because he DOES use direct signal as well as signal mic'd up from his cabs...he takes up 6 mixing board channels)

before his signal hits the signal splitter, he has a boss digital delay pedal, which ive only heard him use in RAtM, so maybe he ditched it

His tone tends to sit in the lower midrange, with good suatain and attack...i usually put the bass EQ on my bass AND amp at 3:00, my low mids r cranked and the high mids r cut a little bit, and i dial in a little bit of treble (1:00-2:00 at most) and i get a similar tone...i STRESS similar (i use warwick basses with flatwound strings and swr/eden for my amps)

the choruses of Like a Stone r good examples of his mild/moderate grit...the main drag to Gasoline is a great example of his full on distortion tone (really unique tone, imo)

i hope i helped out...lemme know if you have any questions

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    christ boy... he certainly is an idol isnt he?

6. hehe, hes definitely one of my biggest, if not THE biggest, inspiration as to how i go about writing bass for my bands...i jsut listen to some good audioslave or rage and feel the need to get better and better...i strive to one day be held in the same level of respect as he is in the rock bass world...hes definitely inspired me to go as far as building my own bass distortion pedal :-D

7. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    Celestion and Eminence is a big difference, I'm looking for what kind he has too so if you can remember thatd be a big help.

8. i never knew of anyone to come out and say whether he definitely uses either brand...i have only seen those 2 names come up in speculation...what i do know is that the speakers he uses have a higher RMS rating than the stock speakers in the ampeg, and that they have more bottom end...i guess he basically turned his 810 cab into his own version of what ampeg makes in 410s and 610s (HLF) which have a much lower frequency response (28hz) so his bottom is cleaner and heavier than a what ud get out of a regular 810

9. Firstly, all his basses are passive. They use badass bridges, and there is only one bass with his handwired pickups. The others use 70s reissue pickups made especially for him by the Fender custom shop.

10. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    +1 on the passive pick ups. He insisted on this in his latest Bassplayer interview.

11. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    +1 on this :)

12. I can't offer any hints as to the guy's sound as I don't know it that well.

Just a general caution though -

MANY times the tones you hear on recordings are not a product of whatever gear the guy uses in a live situation. They are a product of studio gear and studio work.

I can't say whether or not that applies to Tim C - *maybe* he records by miking his live rig. One of the fans around here can probably tell you though...

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Have at least two channels. One clean and one dirty. My fave TimmyC tone is the one he had for Live at the Grand Olympic. I like to think that I can come close to it with my cranked bass into a GT2 into an SVT4P for dirty and clean into an SVTCL with mids switch set to "2".

14. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    With Rage, it wasn't incredibly similar--the sound on the live DVDs I have are actually better than the recordings, IMO. But I'm pretty sure that now with Audioslave that he uses his live equipment to record.

-Dash

15. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    What two these players have in common ?
    Tim Commerford
    Chris Squire
    Doug Pinnick
    John Entwistle

1. They all have killer tone
    2. They all bi-amp (in some cases tri-amp)

Whether you use one for a clean and one for distorted (or 3 for various 'shades' of distortion like Tim C.)

or

whether you use one for the lows and another for the highs (or 3 seperate amps for lows, mids, and highs like the Ox did).

Using two amps makes a huge difference is your sound!

16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Get a overdrive with a clean blend and you are halfway there. I thought the M80 got close enough that no one would notice unless they were an extreme RATM fanboy.

Personally I think the man is the biggest snake oil salesman out there. Rewound pickups? Resoldered PA connections? Strings mined by Himalayan monks and infused with magical tone?

I'd be willing to bet he put all that "information" out there to see who would actually believe it. :D

17. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    +1 here aswell :)

Get:
    A jazz bass (passive)
    A decent amp
    A tube preamp and boost the gain till the tubes throw up
    A booster to boost the preamp gain for more OD when needed

And you're set.

18. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Tonawanda, NY
    I get my version of his tone by this:

-SX SJB75 with EMG Selects (and soon a BAII) V/V/T all maxed.
    -OD and Distortion from Ibanez PD7. Mode: OD or DIST depending on desired tone. (Drive:5, Lo:5, Hi:7.5, Level: As necessary)
    -105Q for wah
    -Amp: Gain: 9 o'clock, Bass: 12, Lo Mids:1-2 Hi Mids: 1 Treble: 2

Works well for the heavy distortion and od tones like Cochise and Killing in the Name Of. If I want to add the clean, I'll split the signal before the effects with my Morley A/B/Y since it has an A and B feature as well as A or B.

.......................__(PD7)--(105Q)--AMP 1
    ...................../
    SJB 75--(A/B/Y)
    ......................\____Amp 2

There you have it. The poor man's Timmy C tone.

19. Don't forget he tunes his basses BEAD