Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How is it possible to telephone or IM somebody across the ocean??!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by volumefiend, Jan 22, 2004.

1. im confused. are there giant phone lines running through the atlantic and pacific connecting europe and the rest of the world? how can we talk to somebody in europe???? satellites or cables???

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. probably satellites.

3. POD - Satellite without the ****ty band in it ;)

4. yeah satellites, not that tricky to figure out.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Satellites and cables.

Communications satellites are a fairly recent development, less than 50 years old.

There are massive cables on the ocean floor connecting most of the major continents. That is how normal telephone calls are transmitted.

In the past, it was old fashioned coax. Today, it is fiber optic cable.

Here is an article which tells a little bit about it.

http://www.spie.org/app/Publications/magazines/oerarchive/august/aug99/subcable.html

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Telephone cables run to all coasts on every country. At every coast there is one processing center. It's known as a TRWDRP, (Telephone and Radio Wave to Dolphin Receiver Point).

Here, scores of dolphins led primarily by seagull interpretors, forward transmitting signals to the proper coast of the receiving country. Now, you may be wondering about how long it takes the dolphins to swim across the ocean, as you're used to hearing the voice on the other receiver immediately. Good question, my friend. Good question.

Don't forget about time zones. If I place a call, here in SF, to someone in London, like, let's say Bruce, then the telephone cables run to New York, where they're met at a TRWDRP, and the dolphins carry the waves, (dolphins are highly intelligent, like Russell Crowe), to the London TRWDRP, which, of course, is many hours ahead of where I'm at, so by the time the dolphins reach there, the times are able to match up directly. This is why there is little to no delay in the conversation.

Of course, in the 90s there was an uproar about tuna fishing killing dolphins. This is why. The President's phone calls were being interrupted by minced dolphin meat that wound up in your can of Chicken of the Sea, which YOU digested.

Yet another reason I'm vegetarian.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have resorted back to the carrier pigeon

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

10. the telegram for me

11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Telegram requires wires, basically it's just a phone but without the complex audio, so you're still stuck.

12. er...i mean...

the messenger gram!!!!

the dude comes to your door and reads the message what is that

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    How about you just yell really loudly.

14. ill send morse with my bass

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I don't know if he'll appreciate that.

16. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Smoke signals.....

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    get back to the lounge you!:p

18. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m

Oops, I must be.......lost again! :confused: :D

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought they just ran cables along the transatlantic bridge.

brad cook

20. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    This the funniest thing I've read all day. Particularly as I am a telephony engineer.