Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How is it that every gig I play turns to sh*t?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Sep 20, 2003.

1. I'm serious, every gig I have played has sucked harder than a black hole. What the hell is wrong with me, and the people I play with to make everything in front of people suck?

Why me!?!?!:mad: :mad: :spit: :bawl:

2. I really liked it. I'll admit the acoustics and mix weren't the best ever, but your playing was really great.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps you just suck, plain and simple.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

When I saw Munji had posted on this thread, I knew what he was going to say.

But it's all about getting a good mix and most importantly... the P word that some folks dread. But also, you are your worst critic, and Freaky seemed to enjoy it. Either that or he's lying to be nice.

5. NativeBass

NativeBass

Sep 20, 2003
    Washington
    The main thing to remember when playing a gig is that you are there to play and to always play the best you can, never cut a song short; you think you sound bad? Tough, it's gonna be worse if you puss out and stop.

Good luck

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    can you be a little more specific than "the gigs sucked"? what sucked about them? the sound? the mix that YOU heard on stage? the audience reaction? did you make a lot of mistakes? if you want to get better be a little more specific and maybe we can help you out a little here.

you can complain about a gig sucking or you can do everything in your power to make sure the next one is better - for example, if you made a lot of mistakes: become determined to NOT let that happen again. play the songs by yourself 20X a day each if you have to in order to get them drilled into your head. there are lots of remedy's for for the many things at a gig that can make it suck.

also, remember that a gig is your best rehearsal. the more you gig, the less you'll suck at it. i don't think i started to really shine and feel totally confident on a stage until after playing around 100 shows, probably even more. keep yer chin up. telling everybody that saw you (if you're doing that) doesn't help either. they'll believe you and the next time they might agree. it's best to keep working as hard as you can, and be proud about whatever you do - even if it doesn't go quite as planned.

now give some details please - how did you SPECIFICALLY suck.

7. stuie86

stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i think its a case of stage fright.... its normal, you'll get over it.

a easy thing to do is to think about ever note in your first song after abit (if your good at spacing out) you'll forget anyone else is there and your hands will do what they've been doing for so long..... after a few shows like this it wont matter your infront of people and you wont need to space out( but it will still happen, haha)

dont worry man, and good luck

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hang in there, every gig you play will make you better.

9. The acoustics had the quality of a box of crackers. I couldn't hear anything but myself and the drums, the other members couldn't anything besides themselves, and possibly me.

And since it was a completely wooden hall, it reverbed of the back of the room so badly.

And since my drummer doesn't know how to play our own songs, and didn't stick to the setlist (if you could call it a setlist).

And the other band that was playing, they just joined together with ours and played for an hour, only I wasn't playing bass.

It pissed me off.

:mad:

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    It's a good idea (if you didn't do this) to tilt the guitar amp in your direction, and also to elevate it. If the amp was on the floor it's hard to hear anything. We always find a chair or something even higher to put the guitar amp on. Also, as you become more experienced you'll learn how to better adjust your respctive volumes. You'll also get used to playing when it sounds like total crap on stage. Note also that just because it sounds like crap from where you're standing doesn't necesarily mean it sounds like that in the rest of the room. sometimes there's a really HORRIBLE mix on stage, and a great mix in the audience. if there's nothing you can do about what you're hearing it's best to just believe it sounds awesome from in front of the stage.

And since it was a completely wooden hall, it reverbed of the back of the room so badly.
    i think that's something you learn after a while to expect in some places, and you get used to it. i used to get freaked a lot because the gigs sounded NOTHING like we sounded at rehearsal. that's why gigging a lot is so important. in time you learn to adjust.

And since my drummer doesn't know how to play our own songs, and didn't stick to the setlist (if you could call it a setlist).
    that's an easy one.... make up the setlists WELL BEFORE HAND, and rehearse them. make sure everyone has one, and make it really clear to your drummer that this is something that you take seriously.

i think the most important thing is to not let it get you too down. we've fallen on our faces, and I believe everyone has, countless times. i've been booed off stages, had everyone leave the club as soon as my band started playing (not the nerve! of course :D ), and experienced all kinds of hell on the stage. the more you play the less it happens, and when it does happen later on you learn it's no big deal and forget it a lot more quickly.

keep having fun.

11. No, the mix from the audience was ... meh... :-/. It was good at the front of the stage though.

12. Well that band is history.

I hate this town.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh no. I'm predictable. My life is over.

14. I hate this town dude...we should switch places.

Just be lucky you got to gig...

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    get a sound guy, if not get a buddy who plays a little music. He can tell your bandmates who needs to be louder or quieter. He can tell you if your bass or the vocals are muddy. Research this site to find tips on gigging and sound checks. We have our first show by ourselves Nov 1st, you can bet your behind I've been on here researching!

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Just switch things up a bit occasionally. Catch 'em off guard by saying something like, "Hang in there, champ! You can still do it!" or "Yer' a yungin' still, there are plenty o' fish in the sea. Don't count all your oysters before they hatch." Or something to that effect. That'll get 'em.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

Just as long as he has a subtle sucker at the bottom.

it's all good.

18. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i knew you'd say that

19. Joe Nerve - your advice is excellent, that was cool that you took the time to help kaz!!! :cool:

Re: live performance- you will learn something new every time you play, no one has it all figured out at their first show. The more you play, the less problems you shall have, for experience is absolutely the best teacher.

Re: room acoustics - yes, some rooms sound like chocolate ice cream (((mmm))) and others sound like the cracker box mentioned. Take time to get a good stage mix, so each band member can hear everything. Take time for a good FOH (PA) soundcheck as well. If the room's natural reverb is high, try changing the angle of your PA cabinets, or try changing the height of the PA horns (believe me, a soundman showed me how this can make a magical difference ;) )

Good luck and if you can bring more specific problems (as Joe N mentioned) we can give specific solutions.

:)

20. If possible, I try to write down a few comments immediately after the gig, or when there's a break. Like: "bridge on Monkey Man, played wrong chords" or "intro lousy on blah-blah" Gives you something to focus on. In fact I've even tried to go song-by-song down the setlist to write down what went well, what sucked.

Then next practice pull out the written notes. It's harder for the other guys to say "oh we don't need to practice that song" when you can say "hey, we flubbed the bridge, and the guitar player was in the wrong key..."

Of course, reading your later comments about the band being history..., carry the advice in this thread on to the next band. With each band, and each failure or success, you'll become more professional--IF and ONLY IF you make a conscious effort to learn from each endeavor.

Good luck!:D