Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how is it that..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Sep 3, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my trace will sound horrible on day but great the other day..and if it is horrible there is no way to fix it or eq it?

its pissing my off. im at practice and i can't even play because it sounds so horrible. but the next day everything is fine and dandy...

damn this thing...

also the gain can't go pass 2 with my mtd with out totaly farting out.....arrgghhh

help please

thanks
    steve

2. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    ok..and it is 300 watts a side at 4 ohms...so what can i do to bridge it?
    is there a cable?

thanks
    steve

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    "mtd"? exactly what model trace do you have? head or combo? try reducing bass knob or EQ in lower frequencies. if you have a gain AND master volume, turn gain up just before it distorts on hard hit notes and then use the master volume for adjustments.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    its the ah600. 7 band eq. and its the mtd 535/ no matter what i do its farts.
    i have the eq balance more in the treble side...but i have to boost everything up just so i can be loud enought to play with drums....its sounds fine usually but sometimes crap...arrgghhh this is getting more and more annoying

steve

5. to be honest I often find my rig to sound different from day to day... some days I hate it and some days it blasts.. dunno the problem at all. I just wish I could get consistency.. I would wonder if its inconsistent power from the wall.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    that is what i was thinking....hmm im goin o try another outlet next time...anyone else?

thanks
    steve

7. could this be why my combo isnt as loud some days. bad outlit. i thought it was just a my crappy carvin amp ****ting the bed.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Make sure you don't have the bass boosted too high on your MTD's active bass control. Run it flat or even cut, and boost at the amp.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i had it less then flat on the mtd. and cut a the eq..still farting..just treble

steve

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sounds to me like either:

1. Not enough power at the amp for your band situation.

2. Too small or not enough speaker area for your application.

My speakers will fart out with my band if I use my 2x10, but two 4x10's and I'm fine. Sometimes, with large stages or outdoor shows, even one 4x10 will be stressed too much trying to push all of the air on its own.

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    man i feel really stupid about this.
    but i didn't even think about it when i got my amp is the day that the garage door broke..so it stayed shut. well we went somewhere else and practiced sounded great. the garage door gets fixed.....it sounds great. i even had to turn the amp down....so my problem was resolved..that and the active pad for my mtd would help :D

thanks guys

steve