1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How is it....

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by themarshall, Jul 11, 2014.

1. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    ...that I managed to take a string trimmer apart -everthing short of 4 bolts, 2 clips, a pin and the piston ring- and put it back together at work this morning with no problem, but couldn't take one tuning machine apart without losing a washer?

2. Send me your address. My wife wrecked our trimmer when she hooked up with the guy wire on the phone pole. It won't even turn over any more. I'll pay you in washers, some of which may be appropriate for your tuning machines!

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I often skim posts instead of really reading them, and this phrase caught my eye first. :jawdrop:

davy4575 and mbelue like this.
  4. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Nothing is so simple that you can't screw it up

-

5. Did you mean me, or WV Bass?

6. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    I think he was referring to me. It must be under or in the couch somewhere. Prolly the elves attracted by the dorito crumbs got it.

7. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Gas trimmer? Engine won't turn over when you pull the rope or trimmer head won't turn?

8. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Yes, it's just an old quote.

Could be we just take more care with the more complicated projects.

-

9. Both. I think she bent the shaft when the sting wound itself around the cable. It was a real cheap one, and I don't think it's even worth having it looked at. I bought a Stihl FS 130 R to replace it, but she won't even try it.

Women!

10. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Could it have wound a string between the hub and frame, jamming it?

-

11. It's a cheap trimmer that has a quick connect in the middle of the shaft. It's supposed to be able to take different trimmer heads, hedge trimmer, pole saw, etc. She "grenaded" the aluminum socket that the lower attachment connects into when she hit the cable. The bottom part spins, but the top (and Motor) are frozen. I could replace the upper cable and connector block, but it was a $75 trimmer when when we bought it 10 years ago, and I'd rather she use the Stihl.

Now that I took the time to look at it, she's satisfied that I did my due-diligence and didn't just pronounce it dead. I'm going to give her a lesson on how to use the new trimmer this weekend.

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    No problem on the lost washer. Just use one of the washers you had left over when you finished working on the trimmer.

13. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Alas, no left overs from the trimmer :(.