1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How is the Acoustic Image Clarus?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nosajwp, Aug 24, 2007.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    What do you guys think of it?

Also, does anyone here have a Clarus head for sale, or know of a used/good condition one for sale somewhere?

Thanks!

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IME...

Positives.....good quality, good reliability, honest power ratings, small and extremely lightweight, very warm organic fat tone considering the class D/switching design.

Negatives... very subtle (and IMO limiting) tone controls, more fat and organic than punchy and/or bright.. which can be a positive or negative.

I've owned various versions of the Clarus and Focus heads, and the tone/voicing has stayed very consistent through all the iterations... so the primary difference to my ear across the three versions is power versus tone.

IMO and IME.

I believe there is a used Focus at Low Down Sound in Detroit at the moment.

3. nosajwp

nosajwp

Jun 14, 2005
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Anyone else?

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You might want to do a search over on the DB side, since these amps are primarily voiced and designed for DB (hence, the name 'acoustic image'. There are lot's of posts on the AI amps over there, and a lot of the DB guys use them for doubling with EB.

5. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    I have a Series II Clarus. Open to reasonable offers. Am in the UK though. It is switchable for 110 v, comes with padded bag. Miraculously, I also have the original AI cardboard packing box. PM if interested.

Tone? Can't complain for what it does, but I often bypass the preamp and feed the efx return. The tone controls are limited and if you need a lot of tone shaping, i.e. your instrument needs to be EQ'ed or your speaker box needs EQ'ing, the clarus is not much help. If you use a good full range cab without bumps in the spectrum, and if you desire to play clean with minimal EQ fuss, this is the amp head for you.

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Loved by some, hated by others. I found that whether or not I liked it was much more dependent on the particular cabinet than I like an amp to be. I wouldn't buy one without trying it first.