How is the Ashbory bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Apr 1, 2003.

1. I was thinking of purchasing a travel bass and this one seems interesting, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
  2. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I have one so i'll speak. It's nice if you want something to mess around on in small fretless package. The sound is somewhat uprightish but just isn't quite it.. check out for loads of ashbory information. Thats all
  3. I'm guessing that if you like it then you would love it, but if you didn't, then you would hate it.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks for that link, FJC!
  5. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I finally got to try one last September, after years of waiting for the opportunity, and I was somewhat underwhelmed.

I think it was the strings I was least happy about - they're made of thick rubber so they've got an odd feel and, apparently, they're quite prone to breaking. Since one of my pleasures in playing bass is that the strings don't tend to break very often, this did serve to put me off a bit.

Also, I think you'd need to have some kind of amplifier as well - I'm not sure they will produce much sound on their own.

Your mileage may certainly vary but I think it would be worth getting your hands on one before commiting the money.