Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Is The BASS POD Live?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Skystriker, Sep 22, 2000.

1. Skystriker

Skystriker

Aug 2, 2000
    I have a question.I have the line 6 bass pod, but I was wondering if anyone uses this alone going straight into the PA system with no amp and if it works well this way. Using it through my amp , Im not as happy with the way it sounds, but recording it direct into my Boss Br-8 track, it sounds unreal. Im wondering if I could get that same sound going straight through a PA system.Any
    info would be greatly appreciated.thanks
    David

2. Well, I've been trying the POD live, and not having great success with it. I don't think you'll generally like it through your amp, because is really is more a direct type of thing, since it's simulating amp heads and cabs. Using it as a glorified direct box just seems to defeat its purpose.

I LOVE the sound through headphones. But trying it live at church, it was terrible. Very boomy and muddy. They're trying to remove all amps from the stage...We have the guitarist going through a POD, too. We're using monitor wedges and only have two monitor mixes...one for vocalists on the front line and one for musicians. That makes it hard right there. I had a much easier time getting a good sound simply running my bass into a standard direct box and right into the board. I had to arrange the monitor wedges and be in a certain part of the stage to get it to sound good to my ears.

I think if you're willing to wear some type of headphones or something, or you all have an in-ear system, and you have a good sound man that can help you get a good FOH sound, you should do pretty well.

--Len

3. Lenmonster, did you try sending both the amp-sim and DI outs to the mixing board, or were you just using the amp-sim?

The EQ Magazine article I read suggested it sounds best when mixing the two. I'll get to try it with a Bass POD Pro live in about a month, so we'll see how it goes.

Aside: I should be able to say who we're opening for in one week; someone pinch me, to convince me that it's for real... ;)

4. Nope. We only ran one line out from the AMP portion. To be honest, our sound folks are not the most gifted. I actually got a great sound from a straight DI...of course having an MTD helps!

The main problem obviously is monitor wedges being the only monitors, and no separate monitor mixes, make it tough. I think eventually they will spring for multiple mixes and in-ears.

Additionally, I probably need to do some tweaking of the pre-sets and the eq on my bass to get a good sound. It would be nice to get a totally pro engineer in there who has some bass knowledge to help me with this, cause sometimes I don't even trust my own ears!

5. When i first got the basspod I ran it through my polytone and it sounded like **** but now I am running it to a power amp into a full range cab and it sounds great with all of the character of the various models coming through. Try using your own monitor other wise you will wind up with the "vocal" mix and never be happy. I just got a floorboard and am looking forward to using it live again real soon. It certainly works great for recording and the headphone out is about the best one I've ever used.

6. Well, I just got the Bass POD and Floorboard yesterday (the POD Pro won't be available until Novemember/December, so I'll be doing a trade-up when the time comes) and spent all last night playing. :)

It's fantastic for practicing in the apartment. Either through headphones, or through my little Cube at low volume, it definitely does the trick. Getting the right mix of Amp+FX+EQ makes a huge difference on sound.

Lenmonster, I'll play around with different manual settings and if I come across something that might be "less boomy" in a church-type live setting, I'll post them. When I'm plugged directly into the Cube, the apartment resonates at a mere "1" setting; some of the settings did a good job of minimizing that resonance.

A thought on trusting your ears: Since you're using a POD direct into the PA, you could try recording some of your playing from the POD-outs to tape, then play that through the PA for your own sound-check.

Aside: That big gig that was supposed to be coming up was postponed until the first half of the new year, probably April sometime. A clear case of "too many chefs"; it's a corporate gig so as word spread, more people wanted to get (and got) involved in the planning... You get the idea. At least it's still going to happen though. :)

7. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    hey

I use it "live" for practice at this point and after some minor tweaking, I really like the sound I get. Currently I'm running it under Brit Major, I think, and emulating a 15" (?) cab (I'm at work and don't have access to my stuff). From the POD I'm running into a Trace Elliot GP-12 head with the EQ set flat and my actual cabinet is a Trace Elliot 4x10. The sound is really really punchy and just super diggable. I get the feeling I'm only scratching the surface with the POD.

to Lenmonster: Are you doing anything fancy to get a good headphone sound? Whenever I plug into the headphone jack, it sounds all "brappy" and not very appealing at all. Any suggestions?

-Gwon

8. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    So is the Bass POD really worth the money?

I'd like to get it for all the different possibilites it offers. My DI only gives me one sound. This seems like it would do the trick.

I play a Sansamp Bass driver DI through my bands PA system right now... how would the POD compare? Should I replace my DI with it?

9. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    If you can get the Pod for cheap or do a lot of studio work, I say go for it. Using it live is more work than it's worth. I haven't used it hardly at all since I got my SansAmp DI. But, I haven't used it in the studio either.

10. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I've never done any recording...

Should I use it as a DI?

I also like the fact that I can use it at home with headphones and nothing more. Thats a good idea.

I'm very concerned about the sound of it going through my PA system. I've read lots of reviews saying it sounds "muddy" live, and that it sounds like hearing yourself play on a tape.

The MAIN purpos i'm considering this is to model my LIVE tone. And if it cant do that correctly i'm just gonna stick with my SABDDI.

11. IMO a lot of the problems that people have had with the Bass POD are their own fault for having unreasonable expectations or using the wrong interface cable. The outputs on the bass POD have a number of purposes for live and recording and getting the POD and the next device mixer or power amp prperly is the real trick. I have had to experiment a bit to find the right interface in each application. Since I have figured out the interface and setup issues the only problem I have is occasionally having to "hard boot" the device and dumping my presets but I've created a chart and it is fairly easy to recreate my patches.

12. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    We (my band) have a 18 track mixing board that goes into 2 monitors.

Each track on the board has a mic and a line input.

Should I send the "DI" output of the POD to the Mic input, then send the "Amp Sim" output to the line input in the same track? Or should I put it in a different one?

Would that give me the proper sound of the POD?

13. The POD was created for direct recording and for use strictly as a preamp modeler. Running it through another amplifier (with a preamp) will alter its tone a bit and it will generally sound like sh*t.

14. To get the best sound from the Bass POD you will need to run the DI out to one channel and the Amp out to another. I have found it is best to use 2 TRS (tip-ring-sleeve) to xlr cables for this application.

15. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Thanks bassbrad! That helps me a lot! U rock. :D

16. sorry, digging up a thread from the dead.... :bag:

I bought a bass pod (ver.1) and an FB4 footpedal about 10 years back. Used it in a church music situation for about 5 years and then it went to the back of the cupboard. Have to echo what others have said re sharing wedges with guitar players or keyboard players....

Epic sadness and frustration... :rollno:

Well I just pulled it out recently to use in a covers band I'm spose to be depping for later this year. I thought the bass synth sounds might be good for the electronic stuff and I have to say, I'm been managing to get some great sounds out of it. The envelope filter and octave effect are also pretty good for recent pop. I have to say, every time I get into it a bit more, I find extra bits I didn't know were there, like a gate and a frequency splitter that sends out a clean bass freq and just puts effects the mids and highs. Beyond that, it's just nice to have a decent tuner and such all wrapped up in one package.

Initially I got all my sounds set up through head phones while away on holidays. That was a mistake, in cans it sounded awesome but very different through normal bass cabs. Like others have said, it was instant mud. I had to change about half the amp options when I got home and plugged it into my rig. I'm by-passing the preamp of my head and running it straight into the power amp section.

Other thing I've noticed is that it really responds differently to different bass. I have a hot output P bass and EBMM SR5 and they are fine, but it doesn't like my TRBII fretless nearly as much.

Anyhow, just wondering if any of you still have basspods and what you use (have used) them for?