1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOW IS THE GK BACKLINE SERIES?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by D Von, Apr 22, 2006.

1. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    Hey everybody, I need your impute. How does the backline series of GK sound/handle? I'm gonna be needing a cheap stack soon and am looking into a 1x15'' and a 2x10, along with a 400-600 watt head. I'm on a tight budget and basically looking for what is the best for the cheapest prices. I've heard good things about the backline series but that was from a guy who didn't even own one... So, any info would be awesome. Also, I kinda want to buy it new. I know I would save some money buying used but I dont trust used speakers and/or heads basically because I know what gets done to them lol. Thanks

2. From what I've heard, I would steer clear. Nothing but bad reviews. I would just save for the RB stuff. Much better.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I own one I don't care for. It's a practice amp. I don't think they represent the GK line well. I've heard they were made especially for the low end market and that's all they are intended for. To compete w/ Behringer.

4. steve21

steve21 Banned

IMO they are great combos, and the cabs are decent, but for a head I'd rather get a real one, like a 700RB-II or a 400RB.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Click below to read my highly favorable review of the Backline 600 head. I don't know about any of the other Backline products, but the BL600 is of superb quality. Dan Elliott has posted in this forum that the BL600 shares a power amp design with one of the RB series heads.

Not all low end products are any good, but once in a while you find one that is.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    IMHO, look for a used RB head, and an Avatar cab.

7. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    I have the Backline 210 Combo.
    Personally I love it but I guess it that depends what your looking for.
    IMHO the tone is great, I've mainly played through SWR and Carvin amps in the past so I might not be the best judge but I like the tone here much better. As far as volume, it's 300 watts and keeps up with a drummer quite well.
    In a live situation, I have gotten compliments from a number of engineers. I walk into a club carrying this small amp, they're like "what? where's your rig?" and then they tell me that the tone is better than most of the amps they have heard, that might also have something to do with my signal chain though.

I have had one problem with it though. After using the built in DI a couple of times it seems to have gotten really noisy. I think that possibly, one of the sound techs ran phantom power into it but I'm not sure.
    Other than that no problems after about 50 shows with it.

8. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I own a Backline 600.

It's now my back-up head, and has not seen any use for months.

I've kept it around because I know I'll have a use for a small, low-powered head sometime. It's not as high-quality as my Genz-Benz, but it also cost less than a third of the G-B.

I have gigged with it in the past, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again if I had reason to not take my GBE600.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think you raise a good point, which is that the BL600 is the most powerful amp in the Backline series, and is at the low end of the power scale for a bass head. For instance the OP was looking for 400 to 600 W, and the BL600 gets nowhere close to that power level driving 8 Ohms.

10. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Oh yes, I forgot to mention that in my original post.

The Backline 600 is rated for three hundred (300) watts into four ohms.

11. D Von

D Von

Nov 13, 2005
    Rhode Island
    ok guys, i like what you said about the head, but finding a used RB would be hard to do since everybody seems to be keeping theirs lol. i don't need much power, maybe 3-4 hundred watts, nothing special. im also gonna need a stack too, im thinkin a 212 and a 115, any opinions or suggestions?

12. You could check out the Bill Fitzmaurice website, buy a set of his plans and build your own. His simpler designs (e.g. the Omni 10) get good reviews, and are loud and cheap enough to compete with good second hand gear.

13. i wouldn't rate then that low :)

i had the BL250, and it was a pretty decent amp imo, its not a loud gig amp, but it makes a good dorm rig amp...THe only problem i had with it was that it couldn't do 4 ohm...nothing serious though...i was happy with the amp personally

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I own a Backline 112, and it actually sounds great.

However, as one might expect, it's not the loudest amp in the world. But for practice, it does fine. I haven't tested it yet in a gig setting, though.

As for Backline cabs (the BLX series) I haven't tested them. I know that the SBX cabs sound great, but they're more expensive.

Anyone tried the BLX cabs?

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have played through a few Backline combos and even bought a Backline 600 head once. I took it back several days later. Just didn't like it at all.

I would wait and get something a little better or go with an Ashdown Mag series head. The Ashdown Mag 300 are in the same price range as the Backline 600 and seem to have a lot of people who like them in here. I played a used one through a 4X10 Ampeg about a year ago and liked it.

If you are on a budget a Mag 300 Or Mag 600 and Avatar cabs is a possibility.

16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I had the 'half stack' from MF was blowing out for 299 ... 250 top and 115 rear port bottom ... the top was decent, but found the distort channel virtually useless, as mentioned 250 was only useable at 8 ohms with one output jack ... bottom was just too 'mushy' for me (Jazz bass) ... I opted for the return option, would probably have kept the top and tried to work in a 112 or 210 under it, but they would not take just the cab back... again FWIW

17. I just played through another band's rig last night. It was a GK backline 250 and a backline 410. The tone was pretty good, but I couldn't hear myself. That's what I get for selling all my gear!

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I had a BL600 for a while before I upgraded to a SVT3-Pro. I liked it just fine - especially once I started using the "true flat" eq settings from fdeck's review. Especially for the price, it's a good amp. Per the GK guy who used to hang out on this forum, the BL shares a lot of internal parts with the RB-series heads. They eliminated some of the extra features to keep the price down. Paired with Avatar 210 and 115 cabs, I had a pretty good sounding budget rig that had enough power to be heard past a drummer and a guitar player.

19. Did you say what kind of music you play? we could steer you into a good choice of cab selection.

20. get an used 800rb head.