Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How is the USA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by villakid 93, Feb 16, 2006.

1. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    How is the USA, I have always wanted to live in a foreign country preferebly USA, most of my amigos would probably like to live there, one friend did live there Philadelphia to be exact, he went to the wrong side of town where, unpleasent things, like gangstas and stuff, so I'd really like to know what it feels like to live there and do people wih they lived in a foreign country. So what do you guys think of the USA and would you move? :hyper:

2. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

It's not bad. It has some flaws, but so does any other country. What exactly would you like to get from your experience in the US?

3. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    I dunno it's just such a cool place and they take the micky out of british people which isn't very nice :(

I want to know what kind of business' are the main chains there where you could get alot o moneys

4. The USA has about 10,000,000 different kinds of towns and neighborhoods and people. Certain parts are worse then others, as your friend experienced in Philly. Same thing goes for New York (where I live). Long Island is all suburbs and generally a really nice area. 10 minutes away from here is Brooklyn and Queens, which can be equally nice or terribly unpleasant. Same goes for anywhere else.
    Personally, I love living here. Anything you can possibly want to do, you can do it in New York.

5. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Whats your job then Mikey?

6. The United States is extremely large and geographic regions tend to have other differences as well. I am in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) and I think we are quite a bit more progressive than the majority of the country. My state just passed a law banning discrimination based on sexual orientation. Finally.

Anyway, the US has a lot of beautiful sights to see and the people are pretty friendly everywhere that I've been. Most foreigners I've run into around college seem to like it here. Take a little time to decide what part of the States you are interested in.

7. Right now I'm working in a Blockbuster (video store, in case you don't have them in the UK). It's a decent job, but I don't plan to be working here very long. My dream job is to be a luthier, but I don't know anything about it nor do I know how to get into it. But I'm sure that with a little research I could be doing it. That's the great thing about the US, they call it the Land of Oppurtunity for a reason.

8. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Yers we have BlockBuster but whats a luthier?

9. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Anyway why does the U.S have gangsters and gun crime but the U.K don't always puzzled me dat.

10. Basically, a luthier is someone who makes guitars.

11. villakid 93

villakid 93 Guest

Dec 27, 2005
    Swayfield, Grantham
    Cooo does Mike want to own his own like Fender etc.?

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hey now, you guys got your gangsters too. Back when a guy who went by the name of Nickthebassist posted here, he was always telling us about being tormented by ruthless mobs of dudes he called "townies". He said they were trying to fight him, throwing stuff at his house, and chasing him down the street.

-Mike

13. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    MJ, are you seriously going to sit here and believe NTB didn't do anything to provoke these "townies?"

14. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I don't think these "chavs" can be classed as gangsters, somehow.... just stupid kids who like drinking, fighting, sex in bus shelters and cheap knockoff sportswear. :D

Anyway, I made this move.... moved to the US from South London about 8 months ago. And I want to go home... :meh:

There's lots I like here in the US, but there's lots I dislike too. I won't go into it here (there's a thread about it in the Lobby), but the long and short of it is, looks like me and the missus are off back to Blighty in about a month.

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Dude, come to Canada! It's like the U.S only better! :bag: ;)

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    God shall strike you, you whitewashed wall. How dare you question the almighty NTB. :D

-Mike

17. I'm sure my state gets a bad rep where you live, but Texas is one of the nicest, friendliest places you could visit. My particular area is a very nice suburban area with some great people, low/no crime, and a low cost of living (compared to most states)

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's not unofficially called "America Jr." for nothin'. :spit:

brad cook

19. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I hear great things about texas. San Antonio especially. I hear the food there is excellent!

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just look out for a big, annoying mexican dude bumpin' around in an Xterra with a slobbery rottweiler in the back.

:bag:

brad cook