1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How is the Vintage Microtube as a Transparent Tube Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassheart365, Oct 5, 2016.

1. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I bought Snowglo's Barbershop.....I have the Grizzly, which I love but when I posted a thread looking for a warm tube OD earlier this year, everyone told me to get a Barbershop.....I didn't....lol.....I finally broke down and got one last night, after buying at least 10 pedals in the last 6 months and flipping most of them. It's now down to the Barbershop (when I receive it in 10 days or so) and the Grizzly. I believe either one will win, it just depends on what bass or amp being used. I tried the VMT which I flipped. It was good but not what I wanted. I'll touch base when I get the BS.

arrowsun and Snowglo like this.
  2. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Yeah - again - my opinion of the Barbershop comes from using it with a passive signal. I have heard clips from others that use active signals and it's almost a different pedal. Much more gain and more of the weird kazoo sound that people don't like. I'd put it towards the front of your chain or use a buffer buster.

3. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I have both passive and active basses.....I might make 2 pedalboards (one for each). Thanks for mentioning that, that's exactly what I thought.

Snowglo likes this.
  4. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Oregon
    Endorsing the U.S. Military since 1984
    Exactly what I found between passive and active basses.

Maybe one board with an A/B selector? I thought about trying this to have one channel for switching between active and passive basses.

Ping me if you ever decide to sell your Grizzly :)

loopee likes this.
  5. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Is it possible to set the VMTD with a touch of hair in the base setting, then with increased gain when the Distortion is engaged?

I was hopeful of this and of being able to add a bump at 200 via the mid selector...

am i way off base?

6. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    You know if you turn the drive down, this pedal actually can be pretty transparent. It's not completely uncolored, but it's an overdrive. So I think if it was, that would defeat the purpose of it.

I've used it almost as a booster before and it works great.

arrowsun, Darkglass and Snowglo like this.
  7. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Try and find a used Southampton AllThingsEqual. I know they will reissue it in a different manner, but it's what you want for two very different basses with different output levels.

blindrabbit and DirtyDuke like this.
  8. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP

nshuman likes this.
  9. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Yup, if you were put put a switch to bypass the buster, keep the internal trim pots inside, it would be a SUPER cool reissue, although I am sure it will be. Can't wait to order it ;)

10. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Since we are dreaming/brainstorming, let's add a switch to add some grit!

nshuman likes this.
  11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I don't think the ATE is what he needs alone - it's still a buffered signal so it will only really transform his passive bass into active. Buffer buster is the call.

DirtyDuke likes this.
  12. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Yeah. I mean, technically if there is also a level issue beyond the buffering, the buffer buster could also be used to lower the volume at the same point.

loopee and Mosfed like this.
  13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The Fairfield Barbershop is now called the Millenium. Not sure why they updated the name. Maybe to distinguish from the Always on version.

The Barbershop

arrowsun and MDBass like this.
  14. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Pretty sure the pedal can't do this, but the new Microtubes 900 amp certainly can.

@Darkglass would know for sure :thumbsup:

15. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    The Millenium part come in because they started making the new model after they sold 1000 of the original one.

Mosfed likes this.
  16. Bassheart365

Bassheart365 Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Northern California aka Paradise
    "Funk Not Only Moves, It Removes"
    Same pedal.

17. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    LOL....OK...you'll have first dibs.....I'm using a nanno + so I may not have room for an A/B selector but it's a thought. I was thinking of just making 2 small boards, one for active and the other for passives as I only bring one bass with me for the jams.

Snowglo likes this.
  18. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    thanks, I'll check it out

19. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Could I just simply use another pedal or comp before the BS and lower the level so the BS gets less?

20. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Yes, a clean boost/cut pedal like a Bajo MOS/Jack Orman Mosfet Boost pedal would work. However, a buffer buster "unbuffers" the signal so it reacts more like a passive signal.

There are definitely a few ways to go about this, depending on the end result you are looking for.

loopee likes this.