1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How is the Vintage Microtube as a Transparent Tube Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassheart365, Oct 5, 2016.

1. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Well, I'll wait for the "package" to arrive and will give the BS a try and go from there....thanks all

Snowglo likes this.
  2. Corbetta90

Corbetta90

May 7, 2018
    México
    I now is a old topic, but somebody can help me, this pedal (Dark Glass Vintage Microtubes) is Digital or Analog? Thanks

3. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    @johnk_10 , I have a different point of view where DB ware not typically amplified through tube amps. Given that CL Fender patented his electric bass in 51, and there was a period that bassists had a choice of Dbs and p-bass, lots of Dbs were amplified, and run through early bassman's. I take exception to your comment that. DBers did not use tube amps. I believe your comment is too general and will not hold to scrutinity.
    If one looks at the history of the bassman, the amp came with15 inch speakers then was modified to 410 cab. The 15 inch speakers were failing. Ime, the higher predominance of fundamentals on a DB would result in quicker failure of the speakers.
    Until SS amps were available, only tube amps were available.
    I started on upright, so I know a DB sounds lower than a EB.
    Given a choice, and today's technology, I would not play an upright through a tube amp. Too much bulk, and too much iron.

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a transparent overdrive pedal, the danelectro cool cat transparent overdrive or the way huge pork loin would be a good choice for that. the darkglass vmt is more of a tube-emulated bass overdrive pedal that isn't exactly transparent, but does provide warm overdriven bass sounds. I however play metal and I do own this pedal for about a few years now and it is one of the best bass overdrive I've ever used. it can be used for other genres of rock besides metal. you just need to find the right setting. it's still a good choice even if you don't play metal. I would suggest trying one out and see if it's the right pedal for you.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    It's analog. and it's an excellent choice for a bass overdrive if you play rock or metal music.