How is the XLR out on the mesa 400+?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by quallabone, Aug 7, 2003.

1. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Well... How is it? Good?
    Just want to know if a DI is needed with this head.
  2. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    From what I remember, the DI was good and clean, but there was no level control and I could not get the right about of signal to the board and have the correct stage volume, so we ended up having to use a DI box.
  3. You can also use the Slave Out to the board. It's a 1/4 and unbalanced, but it has the control and is a very hot signal. It worked great for me. The reason I started using it was because we have a Mackie 1604vlz mixer and the XLR buss cannot be isolated from the other channels in that buss. We have horns and they use condenser mics that require Phantom Power an the 48v runs through that buss (xlr) I could never get a straight answer from anyone if the Boogie transformer would be affected by this 48v running through the xlr (balanced) socket. I had a great tech look at the schematic and he couldn't even tell. I will say that it was never damaged in anyway when we had different sound gear that was provided. I always check with the sound guy, but I never really knew for sure not seeing the manuals for their equipment. Anyway if you don't have Phantom Power on the mixer you're going through it is of no concern. Just thought I would mention it. I stumbled across this information sort my accident. Some equipment can be "fried" by Phantom power. There is two theories. One,if the equipment is not requiring the voltage to opereate it passes on by. Theory 2, it always passes through the equipment and must have protectin against the voltage. ?????? beats me. I've asked numerous manufactureres and Techs, but now solid answer so far. So, just protect yourself.

My second trick for this was to buy a cord that was balanced and had the xlr to go to the 400+ and a 1/4 TRS to go to the board. You can still get a balanced signal that way on most mixers or snakes. We almost never have a sound guy out in front so I'm real close to the board which our drummer runs.