how is this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pheonix316, Feb 24, 2001.

1. pheonix316

Feb 3, 2001
    Silvertone 5-String Bass

Maple neck
    Rosewood fretboard
    24 frets
    34" Scale
    1 split P, 1 J pickup
    1 volume, 2 tone knobs
    Chrome hardware
    Available in Black and Metallic Red
  2. pheonix316

Feb 3, 2001
    Is this a good bass?
  3. Looks good to me. Never played it so I can't tell ya.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, looks like one of those basses that come from those huge korean factories, cause it looks a lot like a Samick or other similar brands. Those factories manufacture basses for various different brand names. Today there really are good low-budget basses available, so this bass is probably ok/good for that price range. I can't tell you more because Silvertone isn't distributed in Germany. most korean basses I've played are good for beginner/intermediate level players and are definitely usable onstage and - to some extent - for recording.

In any case: Play (and examine workmanship quality) before you buy!

P.S.: Looks like it has a string spacing that's more narrow than on a regular fourstring - most low budget basses have that. It might pose a problem and you might have to adapt your picking and slapping technique to this. Personally I hate it when the spacing is less than 18-19mm between strings...

The pickups probably aren't too great either, but you can always upgrade if the need arises.
  5. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    looks like a Samick for me
  6. pheonix316

Feb 3, 2001
    this bass is by Samick but goes under the name silverstone.
  7. Have you played it, I hope so, I would NEVER even consider getting a bass until I have played it, or a similar one for a long period of time. That said, I am assuming you have played one, so tell us, how good is it?
  8. Phoenix316 is right, it's a rebadged Samick. A reasonable beginner bass.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yeah, what I told you...:D
  10. This kid I know has the EXACT same bass, except it's by Samick and it's metallic red. It might be good for a beginner bass, but to me it was horrible. The intonation was way off and it had fret buzz all over the neck, not to mention the neck probably outweighed the body by 5 pounds. I dunno, maybe it was just that one, I'm just telling you the truth.