Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How is this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by That_Pink_Queen, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Hi, I'm a guitarist looking for a bass. I heard about talkbass on ultimate-guitar.com, so here I am asking you guys about this bass. Is it any good? Anyone got one? Anything you think I should know before I buy?

Thanks for any input you guys might have. :)

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  3. pooch0072

pooch0072

Sep 27, 2005
    hey that_pink_queen!

First of all, welcome to TB! Concerning the bass, it's pretty much unparalleled in its price range, squier being the closest competitor. This is EXTREMELY debateable, but many bassists compare them to MIM Fenders in quality. You should go try out some Fender basses to figure out if you rather Precision style or Jazz style basses. Also try some vintage or RI Fenders to get an idea if you have a favourite decade of bass. Good luck in the bassing world, and good-luck with your amazing looking custom on UG

4. Thanks pooch, I have been looking at Fender basses just to get an idea of what to look for. Quite honestly I don't hear much difference in bass tone though, at least on the ones I played. Anyways, I am looking to play mainly classic rock stuff, that kinda tone, no metal or anything. I also will basically only play clean, or lightly fuzzed. Seems like the vintage type would suit me, right? As for PB vs JB, I can't tell much of a difference, except the PB is fatter, and the JB looks a bit ugly in my opinion.

Thanks again, and the custom project is at a halt, had a bit of a paint problem, but when its done I'll have plenty of pics for you folks at UG

:cheers:

EDIT:

Forgot the cheers thing doesn't work here...this forum desperately needs that smiley.

5. We indeed are a deprived lot when it comes to smileys. Anyways, if you're looking for that old rock and roll sound, P-Bass is definitely right up your alley, however, Noel Redding of Jimi Hendrix Expierience used a J, just putting out the feelers for you.

6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    The sx vs mim debate is very heated, but know this...

You will not find a better instrument for 110 dollars (except perhaps a fantastic garage sale deal) anywhere.

7. Anymore views on the Jazz vs PB issue?

[​IMG]

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

IMHO, a "P" Body with "J" Neck and P/J pickups is very versatile.

George

9. I personally like the look of a black P with a black/white/black pickguard and a rosewood fretboard like they have on the site, but when I buy one I want the white J with maple block neck, even though it's uglier to me, it suits my needs more and feels better to play.