1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How is this done!!??

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by vincicinci, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Muzz Skilings plays this incredibly fast 16th-note bassline on "Time's Up" from Living Colour's 1990 album "Time's Up". How does he do this? How many fingers will he be using? Does anyone know how many he generally used? And then there is this slap chorus. At the end of each he does what souds like four 16ths in row popped. Is there a trick or did he practice a bit? Grrrr...
    Well, thanks in advance,
    All the best,

Vincent

2. I just broke out my copy of Time's Up recently.

In his 1991 Bass Player cover story, Muzz said he was working on a technique where he "strummed" the string with his thumb in an up-and-down motion-not unlike Victor Wooten's double-thumbing. However, in the home video "Time Tunnel', there is some footage of them in the studio playing this song and he is using 2 fingers.

As for the slaps, that always confused me too. When my band did it, I alternated my 1st and 2nd fingers, as in 1212. I wish there was some video footage of that part of the song.

Glad to see there's another Muzz fan out there.:D