1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How is this finish acheived?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Hopper, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    Does anybody know this effect is acheived?

[​IMG]

The top looks like maple with a trans colour, yet there is no colour on the sides and you can see the natural colour. There body looks like a solid colour.

Is the top surface dyed or stained first?

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    I don't know PRS' exact process, but I would do it like this:

The top is lightly dyed with the edges masked cleanly.

The back is painted while the top and "binding" is masked cleanly.

The edges are detailed before clearcoating...

3. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    The Warmoth website explains this technique in the binding section. Its just masked off basically.

4. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    The top is masked off to the edge, then the back and sides are sealed with either sealor or clear finish. Then the mask is removed and the top is dyed the dye won't penetrate the areas that have been sealed so the sides and back won't take the dye. Then the entire thing is cleared.

If you dont seal the sides and top before dying the dye will seep and penetrate into the sides. I've done it this way before but without the faux binding I used Fine Line tape to mask the edges which will give you nice clean flexible edge.
    Picture036.

5. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
    Fascinating information thanks guys.

6. Hopper

Hopper

Sep 24, 2008
    London
  7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I may be wrong but I think on Scotty D's blue stained example the wood is stained black first, then sanded back so that the black only stays on the softer parts of the grain pattern and the harder parts (where the black doesn't penetrate so easily) cleans up to natural wood again, then the blue stain is applied on top of that.

So for a pink effect, a weak diluted red stain that is then sanded back so the 'white' of the maple shows back through "may" give the effect on the PRS

8. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    I would imagine the pink is just a weaker red, with most dyes the more coats of dye you apply the darker the outcome color will be, all the ones I've used are mixed with either water or alcohol and you can make the pigment as strong or as weak as needed.

Jools is correct abouth the process used in my example above:)