Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How is this for a pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Dec 25, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys! I got a lot of cash gifts for xmas this year, so I decided that I am going to buy a few pedals I have been wanting tomorow.

I am looking to get a phaser (evh phase 90 off of a TBer) , wah pedal (most likely dunlop 105Q), a behringer bass overdrive, behringer bass chorus,perhaps a behringer tuner pedal and most likely will be getting a p.o.g. soon enough aswell.

What do you think? good idea or bad idea? I'm in a progressive 3 piece where I am trying to play fairly melodic lines.

2. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I would wait 6 months to buy the Behringers. They are untested, and if they have a fail rate anywhere close to what I have expereinced even those cheap prices are worth it.

You are getting a high quality and funds intensive pedal like a POG and other stuff like the Dunlop, but then mixing in things like Behringer also makes no sense to me.

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    well it ried the bass chorus out in the store and it sounded fine. not amazing but great for the price. and I have heard some of the clips of the overdrive and it sounded great (better then the odb-3 imo). I think they are soo cheap because they are amde with crappy plastic and not metal, but I will treat them fine and i will be putting them on a pedalboard so no worries. Anything in perticular you'd be worried about with them?

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    In have owned or been part owner of 5 peices of Behringer equipment, and they have an 80% failure rate with me.

Pedals are effects you stomp on- they need to take abuse.

Not a fan of the ODB sound either ;)

5. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Ouch 80%? Well they would have a warranty, and I have heard that they have really nice wiring and stuff inside those pedals.

6. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    3 pieces of Behringer equipment here, 33% failure rate if you count an idiot guitarist cranking his 12" Behringer amp to try to compete with a Fender 2x12" and blowing... something...

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    No- that's not a failure, that's abuse.

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes- 1 year, which usually wasn't the case.

And when you need a peice for a gig, it does no good sitting on the bench.

Don't get me wrong- I know on occasion things occur occasionally that justifies this.

But 80%?

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    yeah, 80% is horrible. And I forgot to add in my last post that it may have a warranty, but who wants to deal with that?

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I agree with the comment about mixing high quality pedals like the EVH Phase 90 and a POG with budget boxes like the Behringers. I'm not saying not to do it, but you may not be happy with the results, or then again you may be.

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you are a living room player, or like tpylons experiements a lot woth pedals then it isn't a problem. All I am saying is that if you are gigging it does no good.

I'd wait at least six months before buying, and then solicit feedback from gigging players about these units.

12. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well, I was told that they were amde of high quality components and were only cheap because fo the plastic casing. Maby thats wrong though? All I knwo is I liked the sound of the chorus and the overdrive so I dont think it can be that bad, right? If I could find a great deal on a 18v cool cat chorus then ofcourse I would get it over the behringer version, but for the price... :ninja:

What do you guys think of the danelectro fab chorus? same $H!T different pile?

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Heya tpylons,

Got any experience with the EVH Phase 90 on a bass? I scored a regular MXR block logo Phase 90 and am very happy with it's tone.

The reason I ask is becasue I hear that the EVH and even the vintage script logo Phase 90s aren't really as good as these for bass application.

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I tried the Phase 90 and loved it. And then I found an evh phase 90 for sale and even though I havent tried it I am planning on working out a deal. Isn't the evh version esentially the same thing with the script mode aswell?

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sorry, the EVH Phase 90 got bumped from the Christmas list this year... However, I may end up getting one anyway. But not for a little while.

I was always happy with the regular Phase 90. Even looking at getting a Phase 100 instead.

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've only heard good things about the quality of the Behringer stomps as far as structure goes.

I'll let you know after I stomp the crap out of my VD1 when it arrives.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Who told you they were made of high quality components? The salesman? ... That's a sales tip right there, EVERYTHING's made of high quality components. How high though? These aren't very from what I know of Behringer. They're a company that survives on budget minded musicians and build products for that market. If you like the sound of it, buy all means buy it. Worst case scenario is you can have the guts put into another enclosure. I may end up doing that for a few pedals.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's what it's supposed to be. I personally prefer my pedals to be one trick ponies, nothing with magic switches. Why? Because you usually set them in one place and never use half the circuitry.

19. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yeah,well I will probably keep it in the normal phase 90 mode anyways. Buying this one used will still be cheaper then a normal phase 90 new, so I'm happy.

20. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    As far as plastic versus metal? Well, how many of us own some 20 year old plastic Ibanez stompbox? That's what my delay is, and it's only recently started to give me any problems.

And metal? DOD, anyone? They're made out of metal, but that doesn't stop their switches from dying, does it?

Frankly, if you're going to literally STOMP on these boxes, even your high priced models will die within a few years. My Boss EQ that I picked up used is a testament to that. Step on them, however, and they'll live to a ripe old age.