1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How is THIS for a pressure gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Nov 22, 2018.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I recently joined an excellent band, replacing a bass player they have had for a decade (amicable parting of ways due to scheduling). Mix of some tougher covers - think Abbey Road medley, Steely Dan. Second gig with them last night. They needed someone to run lights and sound, and paid the old bassist to do it because he was free. The entire gig, he was there looking me right in the face. BL asked if he could come up and play a tune (that was actually good, since BL had been trying to tell me the feel he wanted, and turned out that the bassist had been playing something different than the original line).

Fortunately the guy was very nice, and the gig went very well.

Bobro, eJake, RyanOh and 16 others like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    He was impressed with my rig. He plays a racked amp, and three cabs. He liked how it sounded, and saw me walk out holding my cab in one hand, bass over the other shoulder, and cables and head in a backpack.

3. mike o

mike o

Jan 3, 2009
    Monroe, GA
    Sounds like you passed the audition! LOL

4. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like he just wanted to feel that he left his seat in good hands. I believe you did an excellent job of that for a fellow bass player.

Bobro and Spidey2112 like this.
  5. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Neat. What were you playing thru?

6. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Revsound 212 and GK MB-500, DIed through the PA.

7. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    At least they didn't ask him to stay on stage
    and for you to stay on sound and lights.
    :bassist:

RSBBass and JRA like this.
  8. jmon

jmon Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    Nicely handled. Better to be gracious and be open to him. If his schedule is that bad prob won’t see him again or at all.
    Agreed that’s stressful. Musicians are the worst people to have in your audience. Especially one that knows every tune you are playing.

mrcbass and Bobro like this.
  9. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    He is a great player, and as I mentioned, is a really nice guy. But the start of the evening had me nervous.

Passinwind likes this.
  10. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    My worst one was a first time sub job for a really outstanding upright player, playing gypsy jazz, bop, and country swing. With no rehearsal and without an amp, just through the PA with two Peavey 10" cabs on sticks. But the capper is that it was the other bassist's wedding. That's a whole lot of trust to live up to!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    ak56, RyanOh, JRA and 1 other person like this.
  11. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I'm the type that believes that once you make a decision to leave the band, you stick with that decision. You don't lament about leaving as that just takes your full attention away from the whatever it is that you left for.

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

really? i didn't get that memo.

saabfender likes this.
  13. JRA

buldog5151bass : glad it went well! sounds like you handled 'the moment'! ;)

14. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Maybe just a-hole musicians. Probably applies to non-musicians as well.

JRA likes this.
  15. jmon

jmon Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    That’s not a knock on the musicians. It’s just tough for the players sometimes. Most non-musicians or just fans cant give a true critique of your playing. Or even notice a mistake. Fellow musicians will. I think we’ve all had players in the crowd watching your every move sizing you up. It can be unnerving.

16. JRA

sure, but only if you let it be a 'thing'. it's on you to entertain them! if they cannot be entertained = why worry? ;)

17. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    The way you two guys handled this inspired me. I always feel like I don’t quite measure up and either don’t act graciously enough or freeze up to a degree. Good on you Both!