1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How is this possible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drienvyftigcent, Oct 11, 2013.

1. I currently own an ibanez gsr200 and I want to buy a new bass. I was looking forward to buy a fender standard american jazz bass so I tried a few in a shop. Now, I want to say that I personally think my ibanez has a fast neck and plays really nice, especially for the price. But when I tried the fenders I just couldn't believe that the necks were really not that good. Sure they were built better than my ibanez but they were much stickier and didn't play as smooth and quick as my ibanez, whereas the fenders were about 5 times more expensive. I'm not talking about the weight right now just the necks. I hear people say how fender necks are one of the fastest necks out there, they're sure slim but how is it possible that my ibanez neck plays much nicer and quicker? I'm not halucinating by the way.

2. Daedraziel

Daedraziel

Aug 19, 2013
    Toms River NJ
    This topic and comparison is done a thousand times every day on this site. But I agree with you... It all boils down to personal preference and how you play, but generally I've noticed that ibbys have a slimmer neck profile than fenders. I can give you pros and cons all day between them but try playing a baseball bat neck like on some warwicks and tell me that isn't tough to get used to

3. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore? Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Baseball bat Warwick?
    Try a WishBass, makes a 'wick feel like an toothpick!!

4. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    i smoke crack i wanted to try something new so i tried champagne! im gonna stick with my crack...I'm not halucinating by the way.

5. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    I felt that way when I started playing fenders. I've always been at home on musicman basses, and the fender necks and string spacing were a bit of an awakening. The sound of the fenders, however was more useable in more conventional situations which is why I made the switch. I think that ibanez basses, like many more modern instruments, are fast and easy to play comparatively BUT in my experience it's good to be more familiar with the standard neck profiles and scale lengths.
    :D

6. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    ...you gotta remember that you can't buy feel...

and, moving up in price point is also not going to automatically improve feel since feel is a personal and subjective thing

7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    ' But when I tried the fenders I just couldn't believe that the necks were really not that good. '

As others have said, it comes down to personal preference. The classifieds section are full of high quality basses of all makes and price points that for one reason or another didn't appeal to the player.

8. After playing Fenders for awhile an Ibanez (esp low-end Ibanez) will feel like a kid's toy. Skinny & thin may appeal to some, but a Fender feels like it has substance, something lacking on an Ibanez. As others have stated, totally subjective, just throwing a Fender players perspective at 'cha...

9. I clocked the neck of my fender jazz at 77 MPH last night when I was just warming up. Can't tell me she ain't fast.