Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how is this possible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Feb 19, 2001.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'm in the middle of a crisis. i have played a lot of heads and during the years i've been amazed by various models and manifacturers. i own an ampeg svt3 pro and i satisfied with it, not amazed but completely satisfied. one day i went to a second hand shop and i found a strange old head. the price was 100$ and the guy in the shop said that once it was a combo and now the head has been separated and it looks as an head. it has a preamp tube and two poweramp tubes, one volume control, one for bass and one for the treble. on off and nothing more. i played it in the shop and amazed by the monstrous power i decided to buy it. it is an head made in italy by eko and the model is herald III, 130w all tube. once at home i started to play with my bass and cab. incredible...there is only the sound of your bass and your fingers, really near to an acoustic instruments and absolutely the best tone i have ever head. not to speak about the loudness...
    this makes me think about a couple of things. first i honestly think that producing now this head or something similar could be great, no feature, no materials low production costs and wonderful tone....
    second, i'm a big fan of ampeg and i use the svt3 as exemple only because this is the head i usually play and that i own, how is possible that a 130w head from the '60 sounds MUCH LOUDER than a modern and powerful head such as the svt3 pro?

2. It's really not that surprising when you think about it. The SVT-III, while rated at 450 watts into 4 ohms, really only pushes around 250-275 watts. When you consider that a tube amp will usually produce percevied volume levels on par with a solid state amp with three times the rated power level, it's no surprise that the Eko seems louder.

There are several threads archived here that discuss the reason that tube amps seem to be louder. You may want to run a search for them if you want to understand further.

I'd buy one. I just switched to a tube amp myself, and I am overjoyed to have three tone controls as opposed to ten like some Eden and SWR amps (not knocking them, just not my thing). I think there is a segment of the market re-emerging that is railing against the whole "hi-fi" thing that really wants an amp with simple controls. Mark Gooday of Ashdown has said that if he had his way, his amps would have three tone knobs.

Congratulations on your new amp. Sounds like you got a great deal.

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what kind of amp are you using? you said that you have turned to an tube one, which one is? and what do you think of that ashdown?
    thanks

4. I have a Mesa/Boogie Buster (200 watts, all tube).

The Ashdown's are great amps. In my opinion, the best solid state amp you can buy, assuming you can afford one. Just make sure to get the ABM series so that you get the tube preamp.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    It seems like you got a great deal on that head.Good luck with it. I used to own an SVT-3 Pro. I loved it. I sold it to buy an SVT-2 Pro, 300 watt, all tube. I like it much better than the SVT-3, but it weighs 75 lbs. If your 130 watt tube amp weighs less, than you got a great score. The only thing I don't like about the SVT-2 is bringing it home after a late gig. :)

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    barroso

Nice find, it probably uses KT88's (guess).

On the less is more eq thing I bought a Trace Elliot V4 last year and it has 3 eq knobs (less to set flat)
    and it sounds subjectively stunning. I am not a valve freak but there is something about them.

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    PS

Nino

I once fell down the stairs holding my V4. THe amp was ok cos it landed on my thumb (which was flat for a week). [​IMG]