how is this possibly in this good of condition?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelastofus, Aug 24, 2004.

1. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Someone took really really good care of it and/or didn't play it very much if any. That's a sweet bass, I'm a big fan of old Fender basses and guitars.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I WANT IT!!! That was born the same year as me.
  3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Amazing, who knows where this baby was buried all this time :cool:
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I'm not one for most Fenders, especially Ps, but that one looks like it has some serious old-school mojo. Very nice.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I almost hit the BIN button, but then I went to shake my piggy-bank, and it didn't sound like I had enough spare change to cover the BIN price. :bawl: :D

That bass is a museum piece. I hope it's new owner will treat it right.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I'm....I'm.....I'm aroused.....(NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!)
  7. Wouldn't the fact that it is not technically Pre-CBS lower the price a little bit?
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Believe it or not, there are still some closet classics out there. These basses are sitting in closets and under beds waiting to be unearthed.
  9. my drummer recently got a fender bassman head and cab from his uncle, along with a fender bass from the 60's...... all in near mint condition. for free.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    There was a fellow on Antiques Roadshow with a PRISTINE 64 strat. Absolutely flawless.

*sigh* Oh, how I wish I had the cash.
  11. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Same with me. I don't like new Fenders especially P's but I love the really old P's even more than the new and old J's. If I was forced to get a new or newish Fender I'd get a J though.
  12. its got the mojo baby...just like one of the dudes at tafe here has an origional mustang bass from the 70's i think, its his mothers hasnt been played for about 20 years
  13. just like i saw once i guy with an origional fender nocaster, with a few chips and dings, i was surprised they only quoted it being worth 4 grand us
  14. I once worked a studio gig a year ago.

when the project was finished we all met at the producers house where he showed me a locked cabinet in his basement.

When he opened it up i saw a P and a J.

What he said was that he bought them new in early and late '66 respectivley..

He said he hasnt played them once. Coz he doesnt know how.
    And doesnt plan too.

I dont know if there is any truth to that statement.. But I cant even imagine what they would go for these days..
  15. OMG, that thing is simply gorgeous. *sheds tear*
  16. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Some doctors kid wanted to be in the Beach Boys or the Beatles, begged his dad to buy him a bass for Christmas, played it one week and realized how hard it is to sound like Paul McCartney and slid it under the bed until decades later he sold it for pennies at the estate sale. Happens all the time with antiques.
  17. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This defines the term "closet classic."
  18. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Even in that condition, I'm amazed at what CBS Fenders are starting to go for. I guess my '58 and two '64's are getting REAL valuable these days! ;)
  19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The price already IS lower. If it was say a 62-64 it would be $6K. Look at that thing, looks like not a nick on it...that seriously jacks up the value.

I just did a quick search at gbase for 66-68 Ps with original finishes and no mods and the cheapest was $3500, custom colors were over $5K. Here's a 66 for $4500 listed as "excellent" (the color is Lake Placid Blue which turns green over time):

Here's a 66 burst that went for $3500 (note dings):

Here's a clean 66 for $3995: