Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How is this statistically possible?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 28, 2004.

1. I was playing pool tonight, and for all 5 games we played, I ended up playing stripes. Now, I wasn't surprised at all. Why? Because I'm nearly alwasy stripes! I've played pool with my friends many times, and I can recall a single game where I ended up with solids. I havn't been trying for one or the other at all, but I'm nearly always stripes. This should not be possible. What's going on?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

happens with me 90% of the time.

3. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    i play better when im stripes

4. Playing solids is too traumatic, so you
    a) avoid the shot at a solid at the beginning of the game that decides which you are, and look for a stripe.
    b) Miss said shots at solids on purpose
    c) get so upset when you do inevitably get solids that you start drinking heavily and black out.

So now, we are left with the question of why you hate solid balls.

Or is it that you LOVE solid balls, and cannot bear to hit them, or sink them, but must do all you can to keep them on the table, ALIVE!

5. play the cards u are delt mate, as long as you whip your friends! :) And all that matters is, as long as the beer is cold!

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe you always rack them up in such a way that the best shot you have involves a stripe being lined up with a pocket.

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    statistically? i guess it would be 1 in 2?

8. Simple solution - stop playing pool, start playing Snooker. Then you'll be forced to hit solid colored balls into smaller pockets on a bigger table. :D

9. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    :)

10. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    Wait, their are SOLIDS?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Not really. It's just a REALLY fat stripe.

12. bluntman_bass

bluntman_bass

Jul 13, 2004
    Wilcox, NE
    n e body ever heard them called cowboys and indians?

13. Are the balls being racked properly for 8 ball?

That is - A solid in each corner, alternating stripes/solids on each side of the rack, a stripe and a solid in the middle of the rack, and the 8 ball on the top of the middle

Like this:

14. Well, as for the racking, we loosely did that, eg always had the 8 in the middle, 1 in front, and mostly alternating on the sides. Still, it doesn't seem to matter who racks the balls, who breaks, etc- I'm always stripes.

15. is this a serious question? your chances are 50% each time. your chances of getting solids next time do not increase when you get stripes.

16. Yep! 50% it should be: So why is it more like 90-95%?

17. That's the fun of the laws of probability. Your recent memory accounts for most of those 90-95% breaks. You are likely on a hot streak but there will be a down side sometime. Count on it! Probability looks at ALL such events possible and says that since there are the same evenly divided numbers of stripes and solids each rack, the "chances" of getting either is 1 in 2 or 50%. The "odds" - for the Vegas crowd - would be 1:1 or even. The chances do not improve based on past performances. If you sank the 8 ball 99 times in a row, you would only have a 50% chance of sinking it on the 100th try. However, the betting oddsmaker might see things differently for the sake of the pool.

This is a simplified version of the game we've used because the 8 ball is a solid. That would effect the pure odds of the stripe/solid question. It would actually tilt the chances to solid. It isn't relevant to the practical application since sinking the 8 on the break wins the game.