Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Is Your Gain And Volume Set In Relation To Each Other

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Feb 21, 2004.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    so how is your volume and gain set?

gain higher then volume

volume higher then gain

varies

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    On my tube preamp my I set my gain until I hear the slightest amount of overdrive from the tubes. I run the volume(s) on my power amp at full, I use my preamp's master volume as my overall volume control.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    1. set the master down relatively low, so you hear your bass at a comfortable, bedroom, practice volume.

2. pick, slap or pluck hard on your lowest tuned string, E string for 4's, Low B for 5's. or just play hard as you'd prolly play during an intense passage.

3. as you're doing this, slowly turn up the gain knob, until the clip indicator lights up on the amp, or if there is no clip light, until you start to hear distortion. set the gain just below that setting, so you hear NO distortion.

4. use the master volume to now set overall volume on your rig.

5. jam away until the cops come. :p

this method allows the most signal to travel from your bass to the input section of the amp to make full use of the amp's front end, so you have the largest signal to noise ratio. but like arthur, you may want some overdrive in your sound, so you can add to taste.

i use this method also for my preamp / power amp setups. BUT, if the preamp has both gain and master volume like my DB680, i'll apply this technique to the preamp only, while cranking the power amp volume wide open.

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Gain,about 30%
    Master,about 55%

5. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Good post joker! :cool:

6. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    On my solid state i have the gain at full, i like to get a good bit of grind, thats at lowish volumes, as i turn up my amp i might sometimes turn the gain down just a little....

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Read joker's reply! The answer to this question is never constant: it will vary from preamp to preamp, and settings on the same preamp can vary for different basses.

8. F-1X on 12:00 PLX 1202 on 9:00 or 10:00

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    on my peavey i set them both around 3 o clock

10. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    and people :)

11. As usual... jokerjkny hit the nail right on the head.