How legitimate is "Stoner Rock" when it comes to genre?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Aug 29, 2013.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive seen a lot of people claim their band makes/plays "stoner rock" and Ive seen it in drop down lists on various music profile sites. There is even a wikipedia page for stoner rock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoner_rock

What does "stoner rock" evoke in you?
    Do you feel its a legitimate label for a band, or is it more off putting?
    How do you think a club/venue/bar owner would react when they ask what genre your band is and your reply is "stoner rock".
    Do you think a "stoner rock" band could just as easily describe their sound with another term?

Im trying to write a band bio and Im not certain I want to use that label for our genre, though it might be applicable. Also, our guitarist seems to like the term (and he's not a stoner).

Does "Stoner rock" fir this sound? What other genre might you place it in?

http://soundcloud.com/sapientsun/sunset-in-reverse

2. I think it's totally legit and has been around long enough that most people that care about music know about it.

Judging only from that song, I'd peg you guys as more psychedelic rock than stoner rock or stoner metal. It's a fine line, but yeah... My $.02

3. frankenp

frankenp

Jul 17, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Depending on your sound, you may be able to say you are 'doom' instead. I prefer that term.

4. i wouldn't say doom based on that one track. i would say stoner rock or psychedelic. just my vote! best of luck!

5. frankenp

frankenp

Jul 17, 2008
    Halifax, NS
    Listened to the track. Maybe psychedelic rock if you don't want to use stoner rock.

6. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    What does "stoner rock" evoke in you?

Watch Such Hawks Such Hounds for your answer! When rock and roll went underground in the late 70s, it became stoner rock. Personally, I use it because when I tell some person who doesn't know much about music I play in a rock band, I don't want them to think of Nickleback.

Do you feel its a legitimate label for a band, or is it more off putting?

It can be off putting. I mentioned the SHSH documentary above. They call it an unfortunate misnomer.

How do you think a club/venue/bar owner would react when they ask what genre your band is and your reply is "stoner rock".

Never been a problem. It's not like the dive bars are really going to care, and big stoner rock bands like Clutch are selling out the 700+ capacity venues here.

Do you think a "stoner rock" band could just as easily describe their sound with another term?

There are ways around it. My guitarist doesn't like the label stoner rock. Heavy rock, fuzz rock, underground rock, 70s rock, psych rock... pick your poison. In the end, they all mean the same thing to a certain extent.

It is obviously a big enough cause for concern for your band that you made a thread about it. Just call it psychedelic rock and move on. Genre labels don't mean much anyways.

P.S. Cool track.

7. .....and watch such hawks, such hounds! very cool documentary.

8. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Its enough of a genre to have the longest running group on TB. I would describe that track as more psychedelic rock, stoner rock is a bit more riffy, heavier and generally more fuzzed out. I like the sound though, and the thing us you could totally play on a bill with a stoner/DOOM bands, its a pretty open minded friendly scene.

Rev. DOOM

9. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thanks to you all for your input. Ive often used the term 'psychedelic rock' for my bands in the past.

I dont personally have a problem with the label "stoner rock" (I do agree that it accurately describes our sound). I know I posed a lot of questions, but I was more interested in how the genre is perceived by others. And I definitely didnt want it to be off putting to anyone who might be booking the band.

Oh, and I'll check out the Such Hawks Such Hounds doc when I get a chance, thanks for the recommendation!

Thats one of our more mellow tracks, for sure. We've only been together a month and we're still writing more original material. We definitely have some more riffy/fuzzy sounds going on. Thanks much!

I might use Psychedelic/Stoner Rock as a descriptor.

10. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Whole thing is free and available to watch on YouTube!

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Oh! Then it looks like Ive got something to watch with my gf when we spark up a bowl after work :D

12. Lots of bands use the hyphenation "psych-stoner rock".

If I were you, I'd include it as a descriptor of your band. The stoner/psych scene is booming (kinda), and you're likely to get some attention from potential fans that way...

13. advertisement

advertisement

Jul 28, 2013
    First question: No.
    I think genuine Stoner Rock is pretty iconic. It's simple to identify when you hear it straight up however that being said it's a very restrictive genre. Not a lot ofl bands seem to break free of the basic characteristics which creates the sound.

What I tend to see is a lot of bands that claim to be Stoner Rock influenced. A local act that my band shares bills with a lot claim to be stoner influenced and it works fine for them. The street press run with it, people understand it and the punters come to the show to see that. Everyone wins.

But I'm a bit of a genre nerd. Don't get me started on Post-Hardcore.

14. why would "psychedelic" be more acceptable than "stoner"? they both imply the same exact thing. or are we saying that more people know what pschedelic rock is compared to stoner rock?

15. I don't understand this comment at all. If someone says i like "stoner rock" it could mean they like stuff like Kyuss, Electric Wizard, Earthless or Dead Meadow. Not a whole lot in common there, it's a very diverse genre, probable the most of anything falling under the Metal and Heavy Rock umbrella.

16. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Fully agree!

17. Blank_0101

Blank_0101

Mar 25, 2012
    Las cruces, NM
    That's what I thought.

Psychedelic makes me think of psychedelics lol.

18. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Inactive

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Seems legit.

19. advertisement

advertisement

Jul 28, 2013
    I find heaps in common with those bands, haha. Horses for courses I guess.

20. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

Sep 23, 2012
    Houston,Tx
    +1

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021