How lightweight can you go with P bass bodies before neck dive?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Feb 3, 2018.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Anyone know how lightweight a P bass body can go before neck dive becomes a problem or its no longer well balanced? (Assuming it already has lightweight tuners)

Consider a Warmoth P build and seeing how lightweight i can get it

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    John at Guitar Villa in Bethlem, PA. got one down in the 5.5 Lb(IIRC) range using Spanish Cedar for the body. I don't know the exact details but I am sure he would tell you all about it if you called him.
    vibrawood-customs
    Here's a pic:
    cf4fff_7aa99f46a35545cc822bf37727af3da1~mv2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Son of Wobble likes this.
  3. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    I've got a few lightweight P's. Their weights range from 7lb. 6oz. down to 6lb. 10oz. All are set up very similarly, and all have Gotoh Res-O-Lite tuners. With a regular strap, none have any neck dive that I can discern.
    My lightest bass is a Squier parts-mongrel Jazz, which is 5lb. 11oz. It has a little dive, but it's nothing I can't fix with my strap, and I'd much rather go super lightweight and deal with a little neck dive, than add weight to a bass. All IMO.

jebmd likes this.
  4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Good question. I've seen a few P's & J's touted as lightweight but the builders insisted on using full-size headstocks and tuners. Any way you can snag a neck with an abbreviated (smaller footprint) headstock and Ultralites? Every ounce counts.

Riis

5. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Just considering bodies at the moment as i have a nice US P neck i'll be using

Zooberwerx likes this.
  6. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Jan 27, 2008
    UK
    Anyone else?
    Really after a ball park figure for a body weight that would be the lightest before you start to get into problems

7. Willicious

Willicious Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    AllParts offers a J-style neck with a much smaller Fender headstock. It uses smaller 9/16" dia. bores for modern, smaller tuners. Might be a good choice if a featherweight body dives with a normal Fender neck.

8. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    Willicious is on point -- once you find the lightest body you can, the biggest weight savings--and neck dive prevention--will come from your tuners. I also like the Gotohs and recommend them.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021