How likely is it for a P-Bass Neck to break, if you throw it around on stage?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by liquid-dream-ex, Aug 6, 2005.

1. why specifically the neck pretty sure most anythings liable to break if you toss it around.
  2. Are you looking for an exact figure? If your stage is made of pillows...probably 0%. If your stage is comprised of running power tools with all the spinning sharp parts pointed out...probably 100%. YMMV.

3. Ah... to be young again :D At this point, I'm more worried about my back breaking after a 4 hour gig ;)
  4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    With our current drummer, I'm worried about my will breaking...and me ending up in tears.

I've owned a P-bass for quite a while, and never felt the need to ask this question.
  5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

My Sadowsky's are jazz basses and I throw them around on stage quite a bit

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Uh huh.
  8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Why would you even want to do this?
  9. bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I wish I had the money to throw my bass around like that... ahhh... Nirvana.
  10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    SX has a pbass for around $80.
  11. Simball

Mar 26, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    Why don't you ask Paul Simonon? :confused:
  12. :eek: I am shocked and apalled!

the only thing i can condone is lighting it on fire :D :bassist:
  13. Yes? :cool:

At any rate I don't think throwing a bass around the stage is a good idea, no matter how much the crowd likes it.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My guess is that he wants to try the Cinderella/Vic Wooten trick of flipping the bass around on the strap, and worries about what'll happen if something goes wrong. Or maybe he wants to do the Krist Novoselic SNL trick of launching it in the air and having it come down and smack him upside the head. :p

Anyway: I figure it's more likely that the headstock will break, not the neck. Either way: it could happen. Depends on how high and how hard you throw it, how hard your head is, yadda yadda. :D
  15. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    This thread reminds me of a show I went to where this emo/screamo band was playing. They sucked (though I think that goes without saying). Their bassist managed to break three basses in one night (and they only played like four songs). I don't even know how he played the thing, he must not have even been plugged in. He was just jumping around, flinging this bass everywhere, strumming it. He must have been hitting all the strings, but you couldn't hear him at all anyway.

His first bass was a Fender Jazz 5 string, but only strung with four strings on it. After he broke it by splintering the wood around the straplocks and causing the actual locks to fall out, he asked a bassist from another band if he could borrow his bass. He started strumming and throwing around this guys bass, which was also a jazz bass. It flew off the strap and the neck broke. Then someone else let him borrow their bass for some reason, and he managed to give that one a big crack through the body by the end of their short set.

I don't see why anyone needs to move around like that. I mean, he couldn't have even been plugged in. He was just like a stage prop.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Why would anyone lend this guy a bass after the first one?
  17. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada