1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How long are you going to be tuning?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Michael Eisenman, Apr 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
  2. Just a minute. I'm almost there...

instrumentalist and smogg like this.
  3. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I hate it when the guitar player has to constantly tune between songs... You can loose the crowd fast.

4. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Aaahhh, you guys are wimps. Play in a band with a banjo AND a mandolin player sometime, then you can tell me about eternal tuning. Man, it takes those guys fifteen minutes just to get their instruments to be out of tune.

JeroB666, dr doofie, BLDavis and 8 others like this.
  5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    :roflmao:

Whenever I would take out my mandolin for an afternoon strum and start tuning, the cat would would high-tail it to the basement. Man, he hated that thing.

6. Lance Bunyon

Lance Bunyon

Jul 17, 2018
    Its a 10 string coursed lute.
    Played by a non male.
    Order dinner.

7. Our band auditioned a lead guitarist one time and no kidding it took him 15 minutes to tune his guitar! He didn't make the cut!

lizardking837, ONYX and two fingers like this.
  8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I get the string-bending and the trem bridges, but if your instrument can't stay in tune for at least half-a-set, it is defective, IMO.
    Repair it, replace it, get an offstage tech, or bring a rack of tuned guitars.
    ( I do cut some slack for mid-winter and summer outdoor gigs where you're fighting temperature changes. )

Bobro, MattZilla and two fingers like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I tuned that one time. My bass has been pretty close ever since. Should he good to go for a few more months.

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The guitarist in my last band was a little OCD. He would even tune his guitar in the middle of songs when he was not playing during a part with just me and the drummer or an a capella part. The funny thing is that he would do it on every gig during the exact same songs no matter when we played them during the gig.

11. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    West of Boston
    In my band there are two guitarists. One is always tuning during sets, it drives me crazy. The other I rarely see him tuning up. Guess which one happens to be the better player IMO? :smug:

12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

tuning.

:laugh:

Frankie Fender likes this.
  13. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Might not be that unusual.
    If I _had_ to tune during a song (oh, I don't know - unexpected contact of the headstock with the singer's face, perhaps...) it'd be the song with the 2-minute drum solo...

14. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    It could even be that the guitarist is cheapskate and won't buy new strings.

15. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    What is this tuning you speak of? Is it some sort of mating ritual on your planet?

16. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    I find it annoying when players have the capability to tune silently but don't.

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I remember the old days before tuners. A two guitar band took forever to tune. As soon as they were both tuned, it was time to start over.

smogg and mikewalker like this.
  18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    That's like not shutting the bathroom door. NOBODY wants to hear it!

19. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    Cats are smart:roflmao:

ONYX likes this.
  20. Morse_77

Morse_77

Nov 5, 2014
    It's funny 'cause it's true!
    Luth player keep tuning all the time!