Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long are your neck blank pieces?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tekhna, Apr 9, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am building my first neck, will be a three piece. I am not sure exactly how long I should order though-is 45 inches long enough to include headstock, or is that not enough?

thanks
    Ben

2. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Longer than the neck. ;)

Looking at one of my templates, I can get away with a 36" blank for a bolt-on, but that depends on the condition of the wood. If one of the ends of the board has checks, I'd buy 48" and cut off the un-usable material. Neck-thru, I don't know, never built one...yet. :cool:

3. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    Thanks for that little bit!

Hmm, ok. I am sitll not entirely sure what dimensions I should order. I am going a purpleheart/wenge/purpleheart or purpleheart/maple/purpleheart neck, as I am not sure I want to deal with wenge. I am thinking right now I want to use 1"*x*x48-I am not sure how thick to order it. Should I order 2 inches so I have plenty of room the carve the profile, or a lot thicker since I will be doing an angled headstock?

I almost want to try a set-in neck as a first, but neckthrough seems like

4. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    Maple would contrast better, too.
    Last time I think I went with a 7" wide flatsawn piece, then ripped it down the middle and flipped the pieces on their sides to get two of the quartersawn laminations. That way the pieces match perfectly, too. And yes, you'd want to go a bit thicker(or wider), how much I don't know for sure, you should draw out a full size version of the side profile of the neck to get the proper dimensioning required. I usually go with 15 degree angle headstocks.

5. I start with a 36" blank for my bolt-ons.

6. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

hmm, ok. I am doing a neck through, and I am realizing I need to have wider pieces to accomodate for the headstock carving. I think I need to lay it all out first.

7. if you're doing a scarf jointed headstock on a neckthrough, I'd say anywhere from 48" to 50" should be enough, of course, that depends on your design and that's for a regular 34" scale.

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    It's really going to depend on a hanful of design details that you need to work out: scale lenght, string spacing, # of strings, headstock shape and angle....

I start with 48" long, clear runs for neck-through. How much you should get depends on who you are buying from. Many lumber companies are going to send you whatever they find that matches your dimensions and you may end up with "allowable defects". "Allowable" for them may not be allowable for a neck. This is why it pays if you can hand-pick the lumber or order from someone who understands what you are going to be doing (Larry at Gallery Hardwoods) with the lumber.

9. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

I'll be ordering from Galley Hardwoods without a doubt, I am just trying to figure out the dimensions I need at this point.
    I am looking at a 5 string, 4+1 fender style headstock with 19mm string spacing at the bridge. I am going to try to scarf joint it for 15 degrees on the headstock, although I am not 100% certain about that, given that it is a Fender style headstock. Will also be 34" scale.
    Do you think you guys could give me a sample dimensions for work you have done that might be similar to this, so I know what kind of framework I am looking at?

thanks

Ben

10. again, 48"-50" is quite good enough for a scarf jointed 35" neck through

11. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    If you are doing a scarf joint then you can get a 1" thick blank. You will have to build up the portion that will go through the body by laminating something onto the back.