how long before buying second bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slickhare, Apr 1, 2005.

1. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    hey all! this thing is finally letting me post...

well anyway, i was wondering how long on average people wait b4 buying their second bass? do you just wait till your first breaks down on you :crying: or just whenever you feel like it?
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Got mine when I just wasn't happy with the tone of my first axe, and also wanted to jump to five strings... I think I got my 2nd bass about 4 months after I started.

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    About three months after I started. I had my bass in the shop for a week for a setup, couldn't stand being without a bass so I bought a used Aria Pro II while I was there. Lo and behold I happened to return it for store credit the next week when I picked up my real bass.

The second bass I kept was about two months after that, I found a five string Ibanez for a good price that I had to have.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I got my second one because I kept breaking strings switching tunings from Standard to Drop D to drop C and back over and over. The second bass let me get aroudn most of that. This was about 4 months into it.

The neat thing was, I was in a band situation about 2 weeks after I started, and have been pretty much since, so I evolved pretty quickly on Gear Theory.
  5. I'm young and have had my Ibanez GSR 200 for 3 years now. *Hangs head in shame.*

Well, I love my Ibanez GSR 200, but I'm moving possibly to a used Sting Ray 5 in, realistically, august.
  6. go ahead, young man, you will love the SR5 :D
  7. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I got my 2nd bass about 9 months after my first. It took me a while to get a credit card to afford it, but I havent since looked back. I figured it took me about 3-4 months to realize my tone was not in a $200 bass, and I wanted something to call my own. I certainly found it, and am still finding it on occasion with other makers like Skjold. Im about to embark on my 3rd bass after 1.6 years or so of playing. As broke as I may be, I do have more money than talent at the moment. I may not be able to do them full justice now, but Im working on it ;-)
  8. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You're supposed to wait for some period of time before you buy your second bass?!?! :confused: :eek:

That doesn't happen very often around here! Seriously....a second bass could be useful if your current one is unreliable, if you start playing out and would like to have a back-up in case something should happen to your main bass, or if you've reached the point where your current bass may be limiting your progress as a player or your level of enjoyment when it comes to playing music or your original bass. Necessity, not time, if the primary force at work here. ;)
  9. slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i've been playing for a year and and eleven days exactly. heh...
    but i recently went to the GuitarCenter to pick up a GrooveTubes Fatfinger . there were some complications and i had some time to just fool around. i tried out some basses and liked them. now i like my current baby... but i'd like to explore some different tones and pickup styles. (Warwick Corvette 4 Standard *droolz*)
  10. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I got impatient in about 4 months and started making my own. Came out great. A year later I bought a bongo, but i'm still making basses.
  11. 30 years. :oops: :oops:

Hey, I'm a perfectionist, so shoot me!! :D :D :D :D
  12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    1 year.

I think i deserved a new bass.
  13. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Another patient type, here. First bass: May 1981. Second bass: October 2000. Third bass: December 2004.

So what's next, home plate?
  14. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    How long do I have to wait before buying my 28th bass?
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Here's the only reason to wait before buying a second (or 28th) bass: you can't afford it.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    It was almost exactly a year after I got my first bass when I purchased my second. My first bass was pretty bad (Moridira Hurricane), and I wanted and got a five-string (Samick).

It was another 5 years and 3 months before I got my 3rd because I wanted a six or seven string (Conklin GT-BD7). Then 3 months later I got my 4th because I wanted a four-string fretless (Warwick Corvette), 5 months after that I got my 5th because I was having trouble playing my seven-string at the time because of a finger injury and also because they were cheap and I wanted a new toy (Essex Jazz four-string), another year before my 6th because I wanted a six-string fretless (Hill Custom), 3 months later I got my 7th because I wanted a good fretted five-string and my wife wanted to buy me a bass (Elrick singlecut), and 8 months later my 8th because I wanted a fretless just like my fretted (Elrick singlecut).

I still own both the Elricks, the Essex, and the Moridira (although it's in pieces). Sold the Hill and Conklin, traded the Warwick, gave away the Samick.

There's ALWAYS a way to convince yourself you need another bass.
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    First bass was a used, 1993 fender jazz bass. It was a good bass to learn on, small neck and stuff. When i was starting out i knew nothing at all about tone variation, pickup settings, etc. I was forced to learn how to adjust action due to the MIM bridges tendency to drop down due to vibration. That is probably what led to me being so obsessed with setup today. I used the bass for 4-5 months before i decided that it just felt weird to me. At the time i didnt like the profile of the neck , but mainly i didnt like the fingerboard radius. Also, the G string would slip off the edge of the fingerboard often. I bought a Hohner B2ADB headless (after 6 basses it is still the only bass i really bought brand brand new) and i loved that neck, it was amazing. That bass was such a great quality for the price ($399), i just eventually got rid of it because i didnt really like the EMG select tone, it was too hard rock/prog for me.
  18. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Don't buy one until you absolutely need one. :p
  19. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Well, ny first bass was my Jazz Plus V. I think I got it in '92 or '93. I didn't buy my second bass until 2002 (a NOS 1995 fretless StingRay). My third bass came about two weeks later in the form of a 2002 fretless StingRay in a color I liked better (never did sell the first 'Ray like I was supposed to). Then I got the custom Warwick a few months later. My fifth bass just came a few weeks ago in the form of another fretless 'Ray just like the second one, but with piezo (definitely the right move).

Next will probably be a six-string Warwick, but on the list are also:

1. Custom Warmoth five string to replace the Jazz Plus V.
    2. Custom Warmoth six string just like that one.
    3. A fretted StingRay
    4. A fretted StingRay 5
    5. A broad-neck Warwick 5
    6. A Zeta Crossover

and someplace in there, I'm supposed to be building my own basses. I'd probably be more able to afford working on that business if I wasn't so busy buying other people's basses!
  20. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a confession to make: for 20 years I played lead guh-- guh-- guh-- (I can't say it!) and was the backup bassist in the band when the bass player wanted to move to guh--you know what I mean. Anyhow I always had someone else's nice JB to play so I didn't worry about it. Now, however, since I failed to die before I got old, I get called to play bass more often than for my Pete Townshend imitation....