How long before GAS sets in?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Dec 20, 2004.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

To the Group -

I am ANGRY with all of you!!!

Three weeks ago, I told you I was a newbie who was interested in buying a bass.

Two weeks ago, I bought my bass (A MIM Jazz) and have been shedding on scales and tone. That's my mantra these days ...
    scales and tone,
    scales and tone,
    scales and tone ....

I'll be hooking up with an instructor after the holidays so I can get started in earnest.

BUT - I am angry because NOBODY WARNED ME ABOUT GAS!!!

I figured it was something that would happen after about 6-12 months ... you know, after I got some CHOPS?? :mad:

But NOOOOO ...

Today, I ran across a picture of something I first saw years ago and it is still sexy as h**l to me! This Thread! :cool:

I first saw one of these years ago and thought it was the bomb back then ... now that I am actually learning to PLAY bass, I am feenin' all over again! (I had no idea that the onset of GAS could occur so quickly!)

Anyway - I am letting logic prevail and am stepping away from the keyboard (and my PayPal card.) Quick - somebody give me moral support!

- Iota
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats my old bass :)
  3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Check out the Steinberger Spirits at reasonably priced, decent quality.
  4. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    My $.02, the Spirits are very cool but the Hohners are much better instruments. I owned a Hohner b2AFL and a 1986 Steinberger XP-2, and I liked the Hohner more than the Cheesbeurger which cost me 4X as much.
  5. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    Not everyone gets GAS. Some are immune to the disease. Others get it and it is incurable. It can go into remission, but always rears its ugly head again.

Welcome to the club. :meh: :smug:
  6. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    GAS can sometimes be a bit like the Hotel California " can check out any time you like, but you can never leeee-eeeave.....

Go for it, you know you want it, you'll regret it if someone else buys it, and end up hating yourself. You're finding yourself moving towards the keyboard aren't you? It's just a few simple clicks and it's yours. Go on. Do it. Think how much better a player you'll be if you have two basses, especially a cool headless bass. The chicks really dig those, very phallic and they'll dig the confident self assuredness you'll radiate having a minimalistic bass. Who needs some huge thing, that women all know is really just an overcompensation? You'll get all that extra action and for the measly price of a bass. How can you refuse? Do you get deals better than this? Not often right? And the seller's just lowered the price. Just in time for a little Christmas present for yourself. You've worked hard all year haven't you? Don't you deserve it? Of course you do. A little pampering. You get to be your own Santa. And being so small it travels really well. Perfect for when you go on the road and need to stow it in the overhead lockers in first class on the plane, where a normal sized bass won't fit. The roadies don't get to drop it or abuse it either, just because they're jealous of your talent and success. So you should have this bass. It will make you a bass god. Open the browser window, type in paypal and in a few moments it'll be yours. How can you let a few measly dollars stand between you and success/ Put it on the credit card, so that way it won't really have cost you anything now, the money and fame and adulation will flow in soon enough, and it will have paid for itself, just like it was free. You know you want it, you must have it, it will fulfil all your needs. It's really yours now, you just don't know it yet. That's it, paypal's downloading, name, password, soon, just a few more strokes of the 'ol keys, there it is, so beautiful, heaven's before you, just enter, and......ahhh
  7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Dharmabass, come back to us, baby! You need to get some sleep, or a therapist, maybe a Big Mac, or an upright, something! :)

Hey, if the music thing doesn't work out, you can always write for Penthouse :bassist: Very funny, man :cool:
  8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You mean there's a point where it goes away or doesn't exist??

9. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004

The subsequent build up of pressure before expulsion ;)

GAS = Gear Acquisition Syndrome
  10. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Unfortunately, GAS has been detected even in newborns. But it only affects the male population.

And it doesn't just apply to musical instruments or equipment. It is called Gear Acquisition Syndrome for a reason. Men need and desire new it tools, cars, gadgets or what have you.

From the moment we are born, boys long for gear. We want the coolest, latest toys. We get older and our gear just gets more expensive.

You can't fight it. The feeling does ebb and flow however. Women aren't entriely immune to it, though they are more likely to be happy with the gear they have and develop and nurture long lasting relationships with that gear...whereas men will dump gear in a heartbeat if the GAS is bad enough for that new piece of equipment calling their name.

There is some therapy for GAS. Primarily it requires obtaining a mate of the opposite sex and having children. While it does not alleviate GAS entirely, that therapy will succeed in preventing you from acting on your impulse quite effectively.

Some men, however, are so far gone that they will dump this therapy in exchange for that piece of gear they feel they can't live without. Coincidentally, they tend to go in and out of therapy...with many different therapists.
  11. Why? You need a paddle for your row-boat? :confused:
  12. Rod B.

Rod B.

Jun 11, 2002
    You are pure evil! Muhahaahaaa... :smug: