Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long before gigging?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RHCFlea, Jan 6, 2002.

1. <6 months

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. 1 year, approx.

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. between 6 months and a year

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. more than a year

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  5. no gig yet

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    How long did you play bass before your first gig. I'm 7 months and still no band.

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    A little more than a year, it was a mistake. :(

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, 3 years from playing bass...about 4 month after getting band...

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    We need a bass player in the band so I switched and we played a gig that very night. That was 35 years ago and I have stuck with the bass ever since.

Chalk me down for "less than one day before giging".

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm a tad confused by what you're saying - Is your concern that you're not in a band or that you haven't had a first gig? :confused:

In either case, neither are a consequence of time. You have to make things happen!

So, if your goal is to play out with a band, get those ads up on the bulletin boards at the music stores a.s.a.p. and get the party started.

To answer your question: I had my first guitar about 4 months, formed a band with schoolmates and practiced with them twice a week for about 2 months and played/won the school talent show for a first gig. I discovered bass soon after.

7. 5 months.... it was for our jazz band at school thou. Does that count? Also, it was at a "retirement home"..basically a bunch of geezers wearing hats (it was their hat day). Some nice old lady kept cheering after ever song "wonderful! that was wonderful!"
    Ah, the joys of band class....:D

8. I started out in early October, and we had out first gig in June. The band was formed BEFORE I was playing, and we were in need of practice (hence the 8 months) and a bass player (me!:D)

I miss my band............:(

Rock on
    Eric

9. i was gigging before i even had my first bass... thumping out that low end with my mouth... ah those were the days *reminisces*

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    30 minutes...

after eating... or you'll get a cramp.

11. Mine was about a year and four months after taking up bass... And the band was a couple months old.

12. i started playing bass solely to play in a band.......

now i'm in a very different band, with the same guitarist, and we rock!

(that's what other people have said...........:D )

13. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    My first gig was about 5 months after I started.

14. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i was playing for a week before i had my first gig, i played a 1970 fender fretless, half a fret behind the fretlines, with a guitarist that couldn't really play (neither could I) and i had a tiny little amp with the knobs cranked and a DS-1 pedal with knobs cranked, and a really really good drummer. we covered green day.

15. More than a year..

first you have to learn how to play with your bandmembers, and write at least 9 songs ( so you can fill a 45-min slot )

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like nanook, you can chalk me up under the 'Less than a day' category.

I was the drummer in my Dad's church, the bassist(my best friend) and I thought it might be cool to switch out, so we did. First time I ever played bass was at church in front of people. I had picked up his bass and plucked a few notes the night before, just to see what it was like.