How long before gigging?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RHCFlea, Jan 6, 2002.

1. <6 months

16 vote(s)
  2. 1 year, approx.

6 vote(s)
  3. between 6 months and a year

7 vote(s)
  4. more than a year

11 vote(s)
  5. no gig yet

10 vote(s)
  1. RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    How long did you play bass before your first gig. I'm 7 months and still no band.
  2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    A little more than a year, it was a mistake. :(
  3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, 3 years from playing bass...about 4 month after getting band...
  5. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    We need a bass player in the band so I switched and we played a gig that very night. That was 35 years ago and I have stuck with the bass ever since.

Chalk me down for "less than one day before giging".
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I'm a tad confused by what you're saying - Is your concern that you're not in a band or that you haven't had a first gig? :confused:

In either case, neither are a consequence of time. You have to make things happen!

So, if your goal is to play out with a band, get those ads up on the bulletin boards at the music stores a.s.a.p. and get the party started.

To answer your question: I had my first guitar about 4 months, formed a band with schoolmates and practiced with them twice a week for about 2 months and played/won the school talent show for a first gig. I discovered bass soon after.
  7. 5 months.... it was for our jazz band at school thou. Does that count? Also, it was at a "retirement home"..basically a bunch of geezers wearing hats (it was their hat day). Some nice old lady kept cheering after ever song "wonderful! that was wonderful!"
    Ah, the joys of band class....:D
  8. I started out in early October, and we had out first gig in June. The band was formed BEFORE I was playing, and we were in need of practice (hence the 8 months) and a bass player (me!:D)

I miss my band............:(

Rock on
  9. i was gigging before i even had my first bass... thumping out that low end with my mouth... ah those were the days *reminisces*
  10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    30 minutes...

after eating... or you'll get a cramp.
  11. Mine was about a year and four months after taking up bass... And the band was a couple months old.
  12. i started playing bass solely to play in a band.......

now i'm in a very different band, with the same guitarist, and we rock!

(that's what other people have said...........:D )
  13. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    My first gig was about 5 months after I started.
  14. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i was playing for a week before i had my first gig, i played a 1970 fender fretless, half a fret behind the fretlines, with a guitarist that couldn't really play (neither could I) and i had a tiny little amp with the knobs cranked and a DS-1 pedal with knobs cranked, and a really really good drummer. we covered green day.
  15. More than a year..

first you have to learn how to play with your bandmembers, and write at least 9 songs ( so you can fill a 45-min slot )
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like nanook, you can chalk me up under the 'Less than a day' category.

I was the drummer in my Dad's church, the bassist(my best friend) and I thought it might be cool to switch out, so we did. First time I ever played bass was at church in front of people. I had picked up his bass and plucked a few notes the night before, just to see what it was like.