Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long before you found "The One?"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IotaNet, Jan 15, 2006.

1. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Most of us have a number of basses -- I'm curious how long it took you to find "the one."

I'm talking about the bass that you'd grab if the house was burning down -- the one that "speaks to you" -- the one feels like an extension of your hands -- the one that just "feels right."

After a year (and more basses than I care to talk about), I've found mine: My Yamaha BB415.

It's not the most expensive one I own, nor is it the most finely-crafted (although it isn't bad -- not by a longshot) but there is just something about this bass that I "connect" to. If it were a woman, I'd say, "She understands me." ;)

I'm sure I will continue to buy/sell/trade basses, but this one is a keeper.

Anyone else found theirs?

2. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    There are too many sounds! Keep a wheel barrel next to the front door incase of a fire! Al Caldwell

3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Too much.:D
    No matter if you waited a decade or too weeks...when you grab "the one",the past time is allways too much!:crying:

4. Instantly. When I bought my first bass as a freshman in high school I didn't know anything, but the guys in the store helped me out. I didn't know it at the time, but when I chose the Gretsch bass over the Squire, best decision I could've made. It is still my main bass and treasure, I just got lucky I guess. :D

5. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm still looking, but I hear or feel like im getting closer all the time.

6. After 2 years of playing I've finally got my hands on the one for me, an MIA Fender Jazz.

Since I'd already bought and sold 2 basses, I knew that I'd have a hard time finding the one for me, so I thought I'd just go for the industry standard (in some respects).

6 months ago when I got it there were plenty of little nuances, but after I got the frets leveled and setup properly, I knew it had some potential. So I swapped out the pickups for some Model J's and rewired all the electronics with sheilding etc. After I did this I sold my main bass, cause I just knew I wouldn't need anything else.

After a while though the tone ended up not being what I was looking for, so I swapped out the Model J's for some Ultra J's and boom, that was it. The tone I had been after forever.

After all this I had some strange gas pains for some Sadowsky knobs, so I got them, threw 'em on. Looks great!

Now I am absolutely positive it is the one :hyper:

7. Bassmonk3y

Bassmonk3y

Sep 19, 2005
    Tacoma, Wa
    I started out with a red yamaha RBX7-something about 4 years ago. it was pretty sweet, i thought.. fairly broad range capabilities, fairly sturdy, and the action in particular was quite lovely.
    After two years I moved to the states, and not long thereafter I traded it in for a black Ibanez soundgear 405. The fifth string was necessary for a band I was going to being playing with..once again, wonderful action, although the pickups buzzed and the bass just fell apart after a while.. the workmanship was heartbreakingly careless.
    another 2 years later, and for my 21st birthday,(this last october) I recieved a black stain flamed maple Modulus Quantum 6, with barts. Once again, exploration into the world of extended range tapping made the next string necessary..and this time, I was lucky. It is my perfect bass in looks, range, tone, action, even it's very essence seems wonderful.
    All in all, four years is a pretty short gap, I'm lucky to have parent's who believe in me so much. :bassist:

8. Mingus Dew

Mingus Dew

Jul 8, 2005
    It took me about 4 years of playing. I started on a Squier Pbass which was pretty junky and horrible sounding. I then moved up to a MIM P and was happy for a while. Mainly because I was absolutly overjoyed at the prospect of playing on a neck that didn't feel like an enormous log with barbed wire wrapped around it. Then I started to notice things that bothered me about the MIM. I couldn't get the tone I wanted out it. After doing some research, I found that the cost of fixing up the Fender to my liking would cost about as much as a new bass. So...you guessed it, new bass time.

I went around playing everything I could until I picked up a Spector Legend 4. After playing it and feeling all of those feelings one feels when they find "THE bass", I ran home and ordered one. Unfortunatly, It was on backorder and would be for a month and some change. I must have gone back to that Guitar Center about 10 times to play the legend they had there. When it finally arrived, I couldn't put it down. The tone was perfect for what I was going for. The P/J pickup configuration was great because the J pickup in the bridge added some much needed definition to the thumpy sound of the P. Even the P pickup by itself was of much better quality than what was on my MIM. I got compliments from so many people on my tone at the next gig, I felt really awesome afterwards. So yea, if you ever see anyone running out of a burning building in his underwear with a black cherry Spector, thats me.

9. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    i think this is mostly fantasy. The number of professional players, for example, who use one bass all the time is really extremely small. Most pros do what most semi-pros do--they switch basses all the time as their tastes change or their playing styles change or the gig changes or they just get bored.

It's true that some great players are associated with a single bass, but even there, it's not like they stick with it exclusively. And it's really rare.

I'm not searching for some mythical perfect bass. They're just tools, and as the jobs change the kind of tools you bring changes

10. doormatt

doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    well so far, half an year. Warwick corvette standard. The weight and tone just feels so right, like a cheeseburger with rootbeer. I dunno though, If ever I get a Fodera or some other dream custom bass of mine I'm sure that'll be "Neo" hahahaha I'm bass Morpheus.

11. It took me a lot of money and a lot of years to find "the one". For a while it was my Warwick Dolphin, after that I got into my "passive" or "Fender" era with my Fabregues, until I got my MTD, now I can finally say that I got my "ONE"...

12. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    After 2 and a half years i found the one, my Warwick thumb bolt-on :)

13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I've been through 8-10 basses. I have 5 currently. My Cote Continuum 4 was bought in '98, and I really didn't discover it untill last year. It has now become my IT bass. My never sell bass. Several times I was on the verge of selling it, but about a year ago I did a recording gig with it and realized that it had the tone and the feel and the vibe that a had been searching for. It is my NEVER sell bass. P&L.

14. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Why is everyone searching for the ONE? If there's only one then someone else probably has it. If there is more then one, then your taste will change.
    Play with a different band? Wow you need a different sound! Play a different type of music, different sound.
    Your skills and taste change as you grow older and get more experiance. So yes we have favorite basses but to call it the one?

15. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    You know you got "the One" only after you have owned various more additional basses and still spending some looking for years... and then you look back.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    IotaNet, I hope that Yammy continues to be the one for you. I have owned the one several time, but I always ended up getting bored and trading only to regret it. Oh well!:bag:

17. Since "The Matrix" was on cable last night, PLEASE don't post any pix of Keanu as "Neo" here - been there, done that...:p

18. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Fine....
    [​IMG]

Whoa.

19. I'm lucky that my first bass is still my main bass, but I have a pretty damn good first bass - a Yamaha TRB6. I started playing several months before I got my own bass and knew I wanted more range than the shared 4-string I was playing at the time. It has turned out to be perfect for me, and I haven't found a bass I liked more for the money.

20. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Warwick Corvette Standard

Even with passive electronics, I can get a full range of sounds from it. It looks beautiful and plays perfectly for me. I'd never sell it........

Ever.

(It only took a year and a half to find, but still, I'm sure this is the one.)