Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How long did Fodera take to build your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Dec 1, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I was wondering people who bought thier fodera from fodera,how long did it take?

Thanks

AJ

2. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    They usually quote 8 months. I've waited a bit more and a bit less at times with Fodera. A lot of it depends on what you order and what else they have going on at the time.

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Adam's been waiting over 2 years :rolleyes:

4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    3 weeks!

j/k (remember that guy that said that? :D LOL)

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yep, sure do...there was a guy here that said with the right amount of cash, vinnie and the boys can somehow magically speed up the wood selection process, the glue drying times....and oh yeah, put off real customers in order to build some little jackass kid a new bass in what, about three weeks or so. it was kind of funny to hear him say the he could heh, knock on wood and heh, this and heh, that. what a dufus.

foderas take forever, man.

6. they made mine back in the late 80s (yeah, I'm an old guy) and it took Joey and Vinnie about 8 months then. definitely worth the wait. played 'em up until I switched toConklin. great basses.

from the low end,

Stew

7. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Well,not two years technically but it's really close. It will be a 2 full years in February. I might have it by now if the problem w/ Bassworld hadn't happened. Although, if Fodera had actually kept their word then I should have had it around December of LAST year. "It's on a loop....8-12 weeks....another 8-12 weeks....3-4 weeks....another 3-4...weeks.....It will be done in two.....give us another 2 weeks because we still need to do some carving...we still need another month".

The reason they gave for it taking so long is that they couldn't find a suitable piece of Korina for the body. Honestly, I don't know what excatly it was they were looking for in a piece of Korina but I doubt I could have told the difference. I've looked at several wood websites and it seems that high quality Korina is pretty plentiful.

IMO,they really need to hire some extra help. I'm sure there are plenty of great luthiers out there that would jump at the chance to work at Fodera. I'm sure that there are many that would take low pay if it meant that they got to study and work under Vinny and Joey. I honestly could care less if 3-4 people had worked on my bass rather than 2 if it meant that I would have it by now.

8. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    The guy that sold mine to me said it took a year to have it built.

9. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I got mine in 8 months.
    Dan

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    How long ago was yours done bass7755? what kind was it?Do you know when you bass was built bethany?

Thanks guys

AJ

11. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Mine is less than a year old. Maybe 9 months. I'm sure the wait would seem like an eternity, but it would most likely be worth it. As long as you have something you're comfortable with in the mean time. I got lucky on mine, cuz it's pretty much what I would have had them make for me and saved some cash gettin' it used too.

12. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Mine is an Emperor Elite 5. It has an Alder body with a Flamed Maple top. I ordered it in October 99
    and received it in June of 2000. Its a great bass and I still have it!
    Dan

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    if they havent been paid im betting your bass hasnt even been started. i doubt this has anything to do with a backorder.

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    oh that was fun :D

15. Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Actually, yes they have started my bass. I've talked to the guys at Fodera many times and I don't see why they would lie.

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Apart from the 8-12 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 8-12 weeks part. ;)

17. Adam Wright

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Ha, yeah I guess you got me there.